iPhone iOS brave app update crash

So this crash has been happpening on the two most recent updates for brave app and what it does is immediately crash when I try to open the app. What is going on with that?

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:

How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Mobile Device details

Additional Information:

2 Likes

Hello @Starsurf10

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Brave. Could you please try deleting your cookies from the app to see if the issue is solved?

1. Launching Brave, tap Menu --> Settings
  2. In the Features section, tap Brave Shields & Privacy

Let us know if that works!

1 Like

Well I would if I could open the app and get that far, but I can’t even do that. I’ve already tried deleting and reinstalling and that hasn’t worked either. Everything was great until the last 2 updates

| Alice2095
January 3 |

• | - |

Hello @Starsurf10

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Brave. Could you please try deleting your cookies from the app to see if the issue is solved?

1. Launching Brave, tap Menu --> Settings
  2. In the Features section, tap Brave Shields & Privacy

Let us know if that works!

Hi again! @Starsurf10

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Additionally could you kindly share your iOS device type and iOS version number?

Be waiting for your response!
Regards.

I just upgraded to the latest version of Brave on my iPhone. The program fails to load while doing the rebuilding of my tabs. I really want to keep those tabs!

It doesn’t even say it crashes and has to rebuild the tabs. It’s just a black screen (I am on the Dark mode) and it exits back to the iOS desktop. I have rebooted the phone and exited most other apps.

Is there a way to downgrade to the immediately prior version?

Thanks!

PS - I have iOS 15.7.1 on a 512 GB iphone Xs Max. Also, I tried to use the Tusk browser, which I’ve never used, and it also fails without loading. However, I unloaded some tabs in Safari and then Tusk did wind up loading.

I have now updated to iOS 16.2 and even with the reboots and unloading everything but the suspended Brave instance, it won’t load up. Just crashes back to the desktop.

I just now terminated the Brave instance and tried reloading, but it still crashes coming up.

I’m having the same issue…again. I had this exact issue back in November and had to wait a couple weeks for an update for the issue to resolve.

I have an iphone 13 with 16.1.1 software and I’m currently updating to 16.2

@Cankles if it makes you feel any better, when this happened to me in november, all of my tabs came back/restored when the app finally was able to load again

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement, alyssasach. I will calm my anxiousness and keep using an alternate browser, for now.

It’s funny how I am so used to Brave that using another browser feel foreign.

Just updated (to 1.46.2) and I’m still having this issue.

1 Like

Can anyone here who is experiencing this crash confirm whether or not this issue describes what they’re seeing?

@Mattches Yes, this is the same issue

1 Like

Just updated my phone to ios 16.3 and brave to 1.47 and I’m still having this issue (both before and after i updated my phone)

1 Like

I am not having this form of a white screen problem. For me, the app or the OS creates a black screen, which was always the normal pause while Brave rebuilt the tabs I had last used. Unfortunately, nothing from the app ever shows and it crashes to the Desktop screen. The exit from a strict black screen to the Desktop takes 19 seconds.

I had hundreds of tabs open, last, and I think the memory just maxes out. There is no error given—just an exit out of an app that never finished loading.

I am using the darker motif for my phone, in case that affects the color concern.

@Mattches
are there any updates on this? it’s been nearly 2 months since this thread was opened.

No updates at this time — I will ping some devs and see if I can get any information.

just updated to 1.48.1 and the brave app is still unusable…

my phone (iphone 13) is running on ios 16.3.1

1 Like

This is also happening to me.

Have used Brave for a year or so with no reliability problems.

Since 1.48.1 also on iOS 16.3.1 (iPhone SE second edition) Brave crashes randomly.

I have tried resetting the browser and deleting and reinstalling the app.

I’m having to use another browser, and hope that next update fixes, though no mention in the release notes that I can see.

When does it crash to you, when browsing websites?
Could you share crashlogs with us? here’s sample instruction from Firefox, should be similar for our app https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/firefox-ios/wiki/How-to-get-your-device-logs

screenshots of my most recent crash log

1 Like

just updated to 1.49 and the brave app is still unusable.

my phone (iphone 13) is running on ios 16.3.1

Same here -crashing continues regularly on 1.49, iOS 16.4.1, iPhone SE 2020.

Crashes consistently even when just scrolling down a page, reading.

Happens so often I have had to move to another browser.