I am unable to us ChatGPT with Brave!

Description of the issue:
Ever since OpenAI made ChatGPT available for everyone, I signed up and started using it. At the very beginning, it was smooth with Brave (Windows) for 1 or 2 times. Then I started getting error messages. However, I when I ran it on Vivaldi, every single time, it created response to my prompt. I tried turning OFF all the shields, and blockers, deleting complete browsing data. Nothing works.

Surprisingly, ChatGPT runs seamlessly on the Android version of Brave and Vivaldi browser on PC but not the Windows version of Brave. Also, my Brave browser is on the latest version (at least it says that in the “about” section).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

  1. Go to : https://chat.openai.com/
  2. Login.
  3. Run literally any prompt/command.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
(Results obtained from Brave)

Expected result:
(Results obtained from Vivaldi)

Reproduces how often:

Every single time I go to ChatGPT

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
OS: Windows 10
Version 1.47.171 Chromium: 109.0.5414.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like
ChatGPT is at capacity right now

[Get notified when we're back]

Tried to test but apprently its hit the limit, is it still an issue? Does disabling shields and/or private window mode help?

Hey buddy,

Thanks for reaching out. Apparently, it worked for me only once. I don’t know the exact issue. However, I did mention it because someone from Brave team might have told me to do so (just because I didn’t mention) and it would have wasted a lot time from both ends! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Possibility that it wasn’t working due to their end at the time, and when you switched browsers it worked. Because of timing.

Just tested. Working fine with default shields

1 Like

Hi, I had similar problem, mine was giving the same error as everybody mentioned, but when i switch to firefox, it works. There must be something in Brave that is blocking chatgpt.


Thanks for reverting. But I’ve experienced it every time. Not just once or twice. I also tried running it simultaneously on both the browsers and same thing happened. It worked on Vivaldi and not on Brave.

I afraid I’ll have to re-install Brave browser. In that case, I’ll lose all my settings :frowning:

This is the latest screenshot. I tried running it today as well. It didn’t run the query!

Seems to be there end, we’re not blocking any thing from them. All requests are server side, they have no trackers from what I see.

Try in private window mode? But I suspect that its so intermittent.


I tried re-installing Brave afresh. But still it doesn’t work with only Brave browser.

I don’t know what to do. I tried contacting OpenAI about this, no reply from them :frowning:

Thank you for the suggestions you’ve made though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having some similar issues, I’ll see if I can troubleshoot better tomorrow through the browser console.

chatgpt was working fine on brave until a today, it just shows me this

the buttons don’t do anything,

chatgpt is working fine on firefox and chrome,

The “unexpected token error” occurs in chrome after a period of inactivity, but just goes away after reloading the page,

I had initially thought that cookies, could be causing the issue so I cleared cookies and cached files but that didn’t the fix the error back then (which was just a blank screen). I then realised that the same error (blank screen) is occurring on other browsers initially and even on my phone (other browsers eventually took me to a screen which told that chatgpt was at capacity).
Eventually after some time I was able to access chatgpt on other browsers but brave now just took me to this login screen with bad css, and the buttons not working,

turning off all extensions didn’t solve the issue,

Creating a new profile fixed the issue but, I’m currently not sure why it isn’t working in profile though, and how to fix it

has anyone faced the same issue?, If I do manage to fix it I’ll let you know

@Arkearn Not a helpful comment.

I was never trying to help brave staff

1 Like

I am also having the same exact issue as the OP. Tried everything. Reset, Reinstall, disable shields, cleared everything. Nada. I installed FireFox - boom. Works. So it’s not my VPN or extensions. There’s something within Brave that is blocking ChatGPT.

Same issue, basically makes brave unusable as my day-to-day browser.

Definitely a brave related issue, tried 5 other browsers all with the same extensions, everything else is fine except brave and brave nightly.

Continued issue, no combination of settings allows site functionality while using Brave browser.

Test in private window mode, no extensions. Also test without a VPN enabled (both Bard/GPT check for VPN’s)

But hey, we have summarizer… Isn t that the answer we always got when it was mentioned AI everytime by someone?
No more proposing brave supercool AI?
P.S soon GPT will be avaible as app on most devices(is beeing released already for Iphone in U.S).

Same here since yesterday (9 September 2023). Also cannot play some videos on some website (it’s loading, 100%, then just stopped when I clicked Play. Usually it’s ok too).
Before that, it (and else) ran smoothly.
I try to simulate all the problemed steps in Microsoft Edge browser (which I hate, actually but I don’t want to uninstall it, just keep it, (also) as backup browser on my Windows 10), No Problem at all. Every time. Shame.

Of course I have try anything I can think of the solution. Nothing fix that.

I don’t know is it useful or useless writing about this here. I hope it is good.
But looking to others posts and usually everywhere in this forum, I’m not so sure.

Same here, disabling Nord web protection in desktop app worked for me, I cant exactly say which feature was causing this problem.