HTTP ERROR 401 instead of authentication popup

Description of the issue:
I’m a web-developer and I work with multiple sites that uses basic http authentication protection. So when I open my clinet’s site ( or my local instance of that site ( I should see a browser popup to enter login and password.

But very often I see HTTP ERROR 401 instead:

The only way to make browser display an authorization popup is to restart the browser. This is very annoying… Also I have lots of tabs open, restarting a browser some times hearts.

What can I do to fix this?

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Open a brave browser window.
  2. Navigate to a site with basic authentication enabled.
  3. See HTTP ERROR 401 page.
  4. I’ve tried to open a private mode window - still the same.

Expected result:
To see the browser auth popup like this:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.45.118 Chromium: 107.0.5304.91 (Official), (64 bit)

Hello @guesswho

Thank you for reaching us and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Brave. Could you kindly try clearing cookies to see if this solves the issue:

  1. Click on the Menu icon in the top right, and go to Settings.
  2. Select Site Settings --> Cookies.

Let me know if that works and have a great day!

Thanks @Alice2095, looks like clearing cookies fixed the issue.
But this looks strange to me :slight_smile: Never thought it can be related.


I’m happy that the issue is solved, if you have any additional question let us know! Have a great day! :wave:

After some time the issue is back.
It’s super annoying to clear all cookies every time as then I have to relogin to lots of the sites/services after that. And there is a chance that it’s not related to cookies.
Any other ideas how to fix that issue?

Hi again! @guesswho

I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Could you please try opening your main profile in private or guest mode? to see if this behavior persists. If they do, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

You can open a Guest Window by going to Main menu --> Open Guest window:

  1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let me know if that works.

I’ve faced the issue couple of more times. Then I’ve started to disable (not remove) the extensions one by one to find out if it helps. I’m not 100% sure, but it may be related to 1 of the following:

  1. Planet VPN
  2. Talend API Tester - Free Edition

I can confirm now that issue is related to Planet VPN extension.

This is weird to me as issue occurs when vpn is turned off actually. I wonder if there is a simple solution to this, disable/enable extension every time is annoying.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.