Utility: Bat Ads Service high cpu usage

Description of the issue:
Recently, maybe about 2 weeks now, I would see Brave Browser Helper process have a high CPU usage ~98% while I am browsing. This started to happen after the recent quick succession of updates.

I now looked at the Brave Task Manager and see the Utility: Bat Ads Service is the culprit, I see it jump to the ~98% CPU usage mark while browsing various websites/web applications.

I disabled hardware acceleration, and just today disabled uBlock extension. Other than that I have not made any other changes.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave Browser
  2. Open Brave Task Manager
  3. Browser various sites/web apps
  4. Observe Utility: Bat Ads Service CPU usage shoot up to ~97% to ~98%

Expected result:
Not have alarmingly high Utility: Bat Ads Service CPU usage.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.29.81 Chromium: 93.0.4577.82 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
macOS Catalina version 10.15.5 (19F96)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

Hi @ubern00bi3 sorry for the inconvenience, I have a couple of follow up questions. I just want to confirm, you have Brave Ads enabled correct? Also, do you use Brave News? Finally, do you have multiple profiles or a single one? Thanks!

Also, would you have some time for a screen share soon so we can get one of the engineers to help resolve this? Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @jsecretan ,

• I have rewards disabled. I did update Brave Browser to current version,
    Version 1.30.87 Chromium: 94.0.4606.71 (Official Build) (x86_64), but still have same issue as I tested this week.
  • I believe Brave News was disabled and then I recently turned it back on
  • I have one profile I believe
  • I am not sure when I would be able to do a screen share, perhaps a recording would help?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.