Excellent work; EOL (End Of Life) for Windows 7? BSD version, SUSE

Hello, Brave Devs, etc.,

Thank you for the excellent work. I have been using brave on several platforms since it launched, and all of you and Brendan Eich are to be commended.

Any idea of when brave will no longer work on Windows 7? I get the following version numbers for current releases:

Windows 7 64 bit:
<<
Brave is up to date

Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Ubuntu 16.04:

<<
$ brave-browser --version
Brave Browser 80.1.4.96

Ubuntu 16 might be a little behind due to the repo.

No worries at the moment, and if necessary I can switch to MyPal browser (also very good). I currently use Webroot on the Windows VM’s (both xp and 7) and MyPal, and we can keep doing that. When webroot and MyPal quit supporting those two, we will move to 8, 10, etc.

We also have bsd and suse vms, and I follow your development for them as well. We had some success with building from source (some of the brave/chromium releases worked better than others), but its excellent you are considering snap, appimages, etc.

And, to be clear, I’m not suggesting or asking you to compile or roll binaries for any particular OS. If you do happen to do so, that’s great. But I’m not complaining if you don’t support Windows 98, XP or FreeDOS (but FreeDos might be a contender!). My favourite is Plan 9 (followed by Inferno), but I am not offended in the least that you don’t have a port for them. But if you do, I insist it be written entirely in Erlang :upside_down_face: .

Keep up the good work, and let me know if you’re interested in results from builds from source. I think GhostBSD and Dragonfly might be your best target platforms; FreeBSD is great, but not always the best for xwindow/gui/ development.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.