Every web page returns ERR_CONNECTION_RESET. All are OK in Chrome

Every web page returns ERR_CONNECTION_RESET. All are OK in Chrome.

Brave worked fine for years but stopped working months ago. I tried all solutions offered online. I uninstalled and reinstalled Brave. Nothing gives any improvement.

Brave is also unable to update:
An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: [0x80072EFE]

Version 1.42.88 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Brave installer times out with this message:
Unable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe.

SOMEBODY PLEASE THIS BROWSER SHOULD WORK ON WINDOWS

Hi and welcome to the community.

Really can’t help. Just posting links to information which may help you troubleshoot. The links are specific to windows systems. It would be helpful if you could post your OS version. You can find this information at brave://version.

Please post an update and provide additional details including the things you have tried. Additional information will provide useful information for either a community member or Brave support to help troubleshoot your problem.

How to Allow or Block a Program Through Firewall Windows 10

Fix ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error on Chrome browser

Fix Err_Connection_Closed error on Windows 11/10 Includes Err_Connection_Reset errors

answers.microsoft.com: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Brave Community topics with references to ERR_CONNECTION_RESET:
Can't access safe sites; keep getting blocked

Brave Browser cannot connect to internet, where as other browsers work!

Other details which may be useful for troubleshooting:

1. Are you using a vpn? Have you tried disabling and/or resetting?
  2. Are you using any extensions? Have you tried accessing web pages with extensions disabled or in a new private window?
  3. Are you using any anti-virus software?
  4. Have you tried clearing history/cache for all time (Advanced tab) at brave://settings/clearBrowserData?

Thank you for replying!
It seems likely that something is blocking Brave, perhaps due to a Windows update or to a system setting that I changed. I did not record the date when the problem started.
In answer:

1. Not using any VPN.
  2. Not using any extensions; private window has same problem.
  3. Using Kaspersky anti-virus only.
  4. Cleared history.

Yesterday I tried deleting everything from Brave under appData folder before reinstalling, but behavior is the same. Installer cannot access internet.
I opened all Brave ports in Windows Firewall and also added Brave as an app that can go thru firewall.
I tried running Brave installer As Administrator.
Always the same problem, never any progress.

The problem began around the time when I installed Windows Update # KB5015807.

Tagging Brave support @Mattches @steeven @Evan123

Recap of issue (please correct if inaccurate):

1. you can still open Brave and access settings/NTP, you just can’t access any web page without an error (ERR_CONNECTION_RESET).

2. you cannot run update at brave://settings/help as following error occurs

An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: [0x80072EFE]

3. you downloaded Brave installer from https://brave.com/download/ (using a different browser I presumed as you said no problems accessing web with Chrome, didn’t specifically ask) but the following error occurs

Unable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe.

4. Tried the following troubleshooting actions that did not solve the problem:

• cleared history/cache for all time at brave://settings/clearBrowserData
    • tried accessing web pages in private window
    • deleted appData folder before trying to reinstall
    • opened Brave ports and whitelisted Brave in Windows Firewall
    • tried running installer as administrator
  5. Other information:

• no VPN
    • no extensions
    • using Kaspersky anti-virus

In the meantime, try the following:

1. Try creating a new profile and see if you experience a problem in the new profile

2. Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus to see if works. If it does, whitelist Brave in your antivirus software if you can or contact your anti-virus provider for help.

3. Close all instances of Brave, right click the Brave icon on the desktop, and run Troubleshoot compatibility.

4. Disable Use secure DNS at brave://settings/security

5. Flush DNS
    Source: Update broke DNS? - #4 by fanboynz

Click on run/search, type “cmd”, right click “Run as admin”
    Then run the following in the black window:

1. netsh int ip reset
    2. netsh winsock reset
    3. ipconfig /flushdns
    4. ipconfig /release
    5. ipconfig /renew
    6. ipconfig /registerdns

After this,
    In the new Brave tab,

1. type in Brave://net-internals/#dns and press “Enter”
    2. Click on the Clear Host Cache button to clear this cache.

Lastly,

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Locate and double click Internet Options icon
    3. Click Content Tab
    4. Clear SSL State.

Then Restart PC. and retest Brave.

6. Make sure all drivers are up-to-date

I would suggest installing Brave Beta and/or Nightly to see if problem occurs in those versions, but if the installer isn’t working with Release, probably won’t work with those versions either. Could give it a shot just to confirm if you want.

Finally, please provide your windows OS version information found at brave://version. It might help support staff or another more experienced community member troubleshoot your problem.

Sorry — just getting back from PTO and catching up here. @Chocoholic thank you for the detailed summary.

@jonw,
There is a known issue with Brave and Kaspersky currently at this time that is affecting encrypted connections — can you please try disabling Kaspersky AV at least temporarily and test to see if this resolves the issue in Brave?

I’ve the exact same issue. Brave doesnt work at all, ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.
All other browsers work fine. Brave not working my own wifi or other networks.

I’ve tried DNS, clearing browser cache, flushdns, disabling firewalls, disabling Kaspersky AV. Not using any VPN or proxy.

Nothing works. Interestingly flushdns did change something and I can now search on google, but cant connect to any sites (e.g. searching youtube on google brings up all the usual results, but youtube.com gives the same error).

At my wits end with Brave now, and there doesn’t seem to have been much follow up here or on other threads. Can we get this addressed asap. @Mattches

Would you mind trying to create a new test profile (ensure you close the original profile window you had open), browse for a bit using it, and tell me if Brave behaves the same way when using it?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.