Equivalent of Multi-Account Containers or Temporary Containers Extension (FF)

Same thing here. I don’t understand people that suggest “profiles” as an alternative for containers.

The story behind “profiles” is that Google noticed that people share their browsers and this messes with the targeted ad tracking.

So Google created the “profiles” feature, aimed to fix their problem. It’s a feature to improve ad tracking. It’s not something aimed at privacy or multi-sessions.

Profiles are just to help users to have better-aimed ads. It’s for Bob to not see John’s ads when they use the same browser.

Google doesn’t like containerization because it hurts its core business. They won’t ever implement such a thing on Chrome.

I understand Google’s staff trying to sell “profiles” as a better alternative to containerization. They are protecting their business while pretending they are not. But I don’t understand non-Google staff saying this.

Profiles are a bad workaround for containers. They are not practical. They are not intended to be a container replacement. Using it for this purpose is like opening another browser or a private window - but worse.

7 Likes

I agree with you. Profiles are not a substitute for containers.

I’m not sure against whom you’re arguing here though, as I don’t think anybody was suggesting that they were – certainly could be missing something though.

2 Likes

Most people Googling about the lack of this feature on Chrome will end up getting suggestions to use “profiles” as a better alternative for containers.

And this place here is where to vote for the Brave team to implement it, as Google won’t, for obvious reasons, ever do.

My comment was not directed to you, but to the frustrated people from the internet coming here to vote.

Edit: I just read the past comments and saw that you were suggesting profiles as a workaround for the lack of containers. I see why you got defensive, but no, my comment wasnt directed to you. I had no idea you wrote that before. I came here straight from Google, rolled to the last comment and added my support for this feature. My comment had nothing to do with you.

1 Like

That’s great. And you made a fair point, which is why I said I agreed with you. But your edits are unfortunate because it just makes it more clear that the whole discussion above isn’t being understood.

saw that you were suggesting profiles as a workaround for the lack of containers

I literally just pointed out in plain sight that I agree that profiles are not a substitute/alternative for containers. But if you’ve read the thread properly, I wasn’t making that claim.

This whole thread has unfortunately been a pile of straw-man arguments, and I feared yours was another on top of that stack and that people wandering into this topic will miss the whole point. You can call it defensiveness if you like, but that only belies that the point is being completely missed, and unwary users will be totally misled because of it. That’s the real reason I replied.

So I’ll say yet again, the argument is not that profiles can replace containers. It’s sad that people keep propping up straw men but a deeper reading of above should help clarify things. I don’t think it’s on purpose, but rather simply out of haste, or dare I say, defensiveness after realizing the mistake.

Unfortunately at this point the thread is out of control due to so many folks failing to do that, but it is what it is. Sigh.

2 Likes

I see. Sorry, our both comments had the misfortune of being about the same subject and being close to each other, which led to some misunderstanding.

I got confused when you first replied to me as I had no idea what you were talking about and why you were interacting with me. I thought you were just a troll popping up out of nothing to start an argument. Lol.

I didn’t read the thread, I just came here to show my support for this feature. I was not aware of the discussion you had about profiles and people attacking you. I can see that my comment could have been seen as a criticism because it happened after your comments. But I wasn’t even aware of your comments here in this thread. I was just showing my support for this feature, not arguing or commenting based on anything on this thread.

2 Likes

Thanks for following up, I can appreciate that! It’s been a heated thread. So same here, sorry if it came across like that. Take care.

1 Like

Right, yeah, OK, whatever. I’m afraid all this semantic distinction is too much noise for me, so I’ll just bow out. I’m sorry we can’t have the feature, but it’s not profiles. Containers is about automatic containerisation. Sadly, I’ve mostly concluded that Chrome is a perfectly adequate Chromium browser for me, and I’ve got back to FF for the flexibility that Brave mostly served, now that accessibility across platforms is available in Gecko. I hope others will keep up the fight for a better Brave so we can have more privacy-respecting browser choice.

4 Likes

Would love to see this as well. Brave is my main browser at this point, but I still use Opera GX for gaming stuff and I use Firefox to compartmentalize my social media due to the containers addon. It’s a feature that’d fit in perfectly with Brave’s goals and would encourage people to practice greater compartmentalization!

3 Likes

Actually this multi-account-container is not thaat useful, but integrates a small feature. It auto-sorts Tabs from specific URLs into specific containers.

Temporary container can use a very agressive mode, but simply the temporary tab, autodeleting Cookies after closing is extremely useful.

This all depends on the core feature of just even allowing the use of Containers at all. Also Addons must be supported on mobile, to provide the same features.

You can have different profiles of course, and sync them together, but this is not the same.

Switched back to Firefox… Its just so usable!

Its not about different activities, but easy management of different cookies in one window. You can store cookies of a site forever in a container, save 2FA etc. and still be private as you are normally logged out.

1 Like

That’s it. Need this too

1 Like

The lack of containerization really keeps me in Firefox. Profiles don’t do the same thing. I often log into the same sites with different credentials working in different customer environments, and the containers make that easy without using separate windows, which the use of profiles requires. Both accomplish similar things in that regard, but in completely different ways, and I prefer the way containers work that way.

1 Like

I just found this thread in my efforts to shift from firefox to brave. That’s what keeping me in Firefox. Its really toxic that brave commuinty thinks containarization is already implemented when it does not come near in terms of functionality to firefox containers. Why is it so hard for people to see Brave needs containers? What is the point of implementing so many other things when containers are not implemented? I can’t live my life without them. They are that important. And I can see many people here, in this exact thread, with the same idea. Common Brave! it has been so so long.

1 Like

This is an elaborate reply and a statement to why this discussion here is completely unfruitful due to a single user’s incessant dismissive and hypocritical remarks.

Containers are important for privacy reasons to isolate cookies, I think we all know that. We also know that profiles are not a viable alternative, and suggesting profiles as an alternative is inane because the only similarity between containers (as implemented in Firefox) and profiles is that cookie isolation (maybe a few other things too, but not important here.).

“In retrospect, I feel like the automated Brave privacy protections already fulfill 90% of what I’d get from Containers, without the overhead of managing them. I could be wrong… I do have a few separate profiles still though, but this is because in Brave I can install different extension sets into different profiles… In some ways this is actually better than FF + Containers… Doesn’t solve the problem of automatically opening a given site in the ‘right’ profile but small price to pay for all the benefits. YMMV though.”

“I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, I don’t think containers are necessary at this point… you’ll see there’s a ton of protections enabled all the time, essentially automated, without the human cost and overhead of managing containers.”

“Brave does site containerization for you already, automatically, without the baggage of manual container management.”

‘better’,‘not necessary’, and judgements from limited personal experience (which is clearly not aligning with a lot of other users) does not help in a conversation. A lot of us are not writers/speakers and putting together all that we know/want in a small forum post is rather difficult. When we do put it in, immediately dismissing this stops fruitful discussions and only makes this forum more toxic!

Cross-site cooking blocking is something firefox also does without containers, and Brave does not “CONTAINERIZE” automatically!

“Containers do not ‘contain’ your extensions. So for instance, if you use something like ‘Honey’ for shopping, this extension also has access to your other, potentially more sensitive containers.”

“And after I committed myself to a several-month period of kicking the tires with Brave I would never go back to the hassle of fiddling with Containers. “Letting go” has been great.”

“ is that many of the use cases for Containers can be satisfied automatically with Brave’s built-in features without the added overhead of managing those features”

Brave’s built-in privacy features do not fullfil what containers do. Most of what Brave does is something that can be easily achieved through certain extensions and settings changes in Firefox, and a lot of users do do these by default.

Your use of containers might have been easily translated into Brave, but assuming everybody else’s does too is just plain narcissistic.

Further, a person with even an iota of sense would disable Honey when not in use or not use such privacy-invasive extensions!

“I’m not disagreeing with any of your points per se, I just want to make sure it’s clear that Chrom*(i.e., Brave) ‘profiles’ do in fact achieve the multiple-logins capability. The difference is that they’re not in the same window.”

“you actually wouldn’t want the FF URL pattern matching because you’d have to keep overriding it.”

You see the incongruity in the statement right?

URL pattern matching is something I have seldom overriden and claiming someone has to keep doing is not true.

“But being completely ignorant of another means to that end, and attempting to shout down someone who points it out, isn’t helping people. At least here you as an individual can make a choice.”

Another example of absolute hypocrisy!

This user has put forth ‘profiles’ as an alternative for ‘containers’ almost with the same vigour as suggesting replacement . I understand they did not suggest that profiles replace containers, but one could quite easily see that repeatedly insisting that the capabilities/implementations of ‘profiles’ in a workflow could be the same or be similar to that of containers can be construed as saying ‘profiles’ do what ‘containers’ do. This is not a strawman argument, this is reasonable comprehension.

I’m just saying, you’ve said what you wanted to say more than once. Repeating the same thing over and over again everytime someone comes forward with a their workflow which might be in need of containers is just annoying and does not push this discussion forward. The only user in this discussion making this discussion toxic is you!

3 Likes

I am sorry that you are feeling so triggered. But if disagreement is viewed as ‘toxic’ I’m not sure how you’re surviving in a world of Internet forums.

Ultimately nothing cogent was offered here. The accusation of dismissiveness is quite silly, as I’ve offered very clear, rational statements and been open about where and why opinions could differ. I didn’t need to do any of this, but it is unfortunate and somewhat sad to see childish rants take attention away from valuable discussion.

That said, you’re in luck in the sense that I don’t have a lot of time to waste these days, but my hope is that grown adults can actually read through the logic and facts (from both points of view!) in this thread, and decide for themselves which approach suits them better. And no, I don’t care if someone chooses something different – all I care about is that the decision be an informed one.

For some, part of that is a values decision; some people are willing to put up with an inconvenience or two in order to make a change for other reasons (for example, what is perceived to be a more secure engine, or Web3, or politics, or extension isolation, whatever). And those can be important as well (and dare I say, easily dismissed when not part of the conversation).

But the sad fact is that much of what has been presented here as counter-points are coming from a failure to really understand what is going on under the hood.

With your case in particular, allow me to point out one such example:

You omitted some important context from that statement.

Was this by accident? Did you think it would go unnoticed? It either means that you left it out deliberately in the hopes that others would not notice and that your personal attacks would be valued as a result; or, that you just do not understand how MS Teams works and therefore cannot appreciate why that statement actually makes perfect sense in the context in which it was made. (And yes, it does.)

But again a rational, adult reader looking to make an informed choice would hopefully see through that.

Best of luck!

1 Like

installing brave with a hope that brave already session container like FF, but I’m dissapointed, no point installing, back to FF

3 Likes

exactly! This was the same for me.

1 Like

I’m sticking with Brave despite it’s lack of containers because I use some sites regularly that are just more compatible with the Chromium engine than with FF, but I miss the containers every single day. Containers allowed me to isolate cookies WITHOUT the need for a separate profile. This allowed me to share plugins and favorites between containers that had cookie isolation, often in tabs in the same window, which for me, was better. Profiles accomplish what containers do from the perspective of cookie isolation, but they do it in a way that has consequences I’d rather not have. I get that that’s not the case for everyone, and for some the complete isolation of multiple profiles is better, even necessary. The ability to have both would be really nice for some of us despite those who don’t understand the use case telling us repeatedly that it’s better the way Brave does it. For some use cases, it’s just not. “You don’t really want it the way FF does it”. Yes, yes I do.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware this was a voting page. For anyone else unaware of that, please vote for this feature on the top of this page

4 Likes

I would like to see this implemented as well.

1 Like