Equivalent of Multi-Account Containers or Temporary Containers Extension (FF)

Since Brave has an inherent commitment to privacy, I’d love to see an equivalent of an extension Firefox has—Multi-Account Containers and Temporary Containers extension. They both have a functionalities that complement each other. I love the idea that gives me peace of mind that each time I open a new tab, it creates a temporary (or isolated) container.

If those two functionalities could be combined, this could be a sole reason for more people to switch to Brave.

7 Likes

This is a killer feature for Firefox, and it would be an outstanding addition to Brave.

14 Likes

Having the option to select which extensions runs in those containers would be awesome as well.
I guess these kind of features has low prio compared to everything BAT-related and it might take years before we see this feature unless the Chromium team release it first.

2 Likes

I agree that this is a killer feature of FF but I think Brave should go even further and have a “stateless” operational mode for maximum privacy:

• Every explicit new tab is in a new container, unless otherwise specified;
  • A whitelist of trusted parties prevents data destruction for that party:
  • favoured first parties, in a first-party context;
  • trusted third-parties,
    • always, whenever a user visits any site, or
    • only upon request, where a user reloads an embedded element;
  • “referer” control (destination origin, explicit user text, actual referer w/(o) path, query;
  • extension control (suppress unwarranted network contact with filters).

In this way you might do your worst. :slight_smile:

Naturally, if Brave is confined to whatever Chromium does, I can just give up and go home. I don’t suppose even Firefox will give me such obviously webmaster-hostile tools.

But it is what I want, and it’d make Brave a force to be reckonned with.

6 Likes

Another for a Firefox type container. It has become one of my favorite features there.

2 Likes

@Sebby you’ve got the right idea about containers. They are one of those features you may not even imagine wanting let along needing at first. But after having it for a month, wondering why anyone would be so ridiculous as not to build it into every browser. It is like the power open-close door feature for the back hatch door on a SUV.

So, thanks for elaborating on some great ideas for consideration in making this functionality available on Brave. I hope someone is listening, and cannot believe that for anyone who is considering a move to Brave from FF, that it would not be a pivotal feature.

It is a surprise that it appears to be a lackluster pile-on for wanting containers here, If most people are checking out Brave coming from Google Chrome and have not experienced containers – I suppose that might explain it.

= = =
P.S. Is there any better place to stimulate discussion and engage people to solicit user support for feature suggestions?

Thanks again.

5 Likes

I too want this. The ideal solution should be a container to every domain, for instance, several google related sits share the same container (as in, not isolated from each other), but this container should be isolated from others (facebook, wordpress, banking) and vice versa.

It would amp up Brave’s privacy several orders of magnitude, and shut up firefox fans about their superior privacy (supposedly)

4 Likes

This should be the place, but feature requests often (?) sometimes (?) get little interaction from the Brave Team and appear to just sit until an announcement of a new feature, etc. or they just sit, and sit, and … :hushed: :wink:

Otherwise …
https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/
https://www.facebook.com/BraveBrowser/

3 Likes

This is a must have feature. There is really no excuse for a browser based around security not having such a feature.

5 Likes

Yep, this is what is keeping me on Firefox as well. I would love to jump to Brave, but this feature is just SOOOOOOOO handy!

4 Likes

I’m on this band wagon as well. I cannot understand how Mozilla has been able to do this and no one else has been able or willing to.

I find myself logging in to multiple accounts on the same platforms like AWZ, Azure, etc. under different accounts.

I think I want this more than any other feature.

2 Likes

Active discussions on github only, I believe. See https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/34. The issue number will show you how early it was asked for (current issue number is 15xxx) :wink: And one can summarize that its not going to happen due to upstream chromium issues.

1 Like

Lack of this feature kept me from switching (from FF to Brave) as well, for a long time, maybe a year.

But a few months or so ago I decided to bite the bullet and just try living without it and see how it went. Haven’t looked back.

In retrospect, I feel like the automated Brave privacy protections already fulfill 90% of what I’d get from Containers, without the overhead of managing them. I could be wrong.

I do have a few separate profiles still though, but this is because in Brave I can install different extension sets into different profiles; whereas with Firefox it was all-or-nothing, unless I wanted to create a new profile in FF as well, and then you’re back to square 1 again.

So I have a Shopping profile where I can install Honey and a few others that I don’t want reading all my history from my ‘Main’ or Default profile. In some ways this is actually better than FF + Containers.

All that aside, one thing I do miss about this arrangement is having all the bookmarks, history, etc. in the same instance/profile. And I don’t feel like setting up Sync multiple times for these profiles, it would be nice to just do it once and have everything there. So I’m considering the idea of syncing all the profiles together onto a single Sync Chain, but shutting off the Apps and Extensions sync. In theory it should work to get the bookmarks, history, etc. all in the same place.

Doesn’t solve the problem of automatically opening a given site in the ‘right’ profile but small price to pay for all the benefits. YMMV though.

2 Likes

I think you may have a misconception about conainers. With FF containers, nothing is shared, it’s like a new instance in the same window. If I login to Reddit in container 1, container 2 isn’t logged in. No cookies are shared between them. I’m sure that it can still be tracked with fingerprinting as they’ll know two browsers with the same IP and screen resolution would be on the site, but that can be mitigated with a shared IP VPN.

2 Likes

Yes, it is very needed, specially for a browser that claims the “best privacy online”.

After start using it on FF, i understand that “Container Feature” should be a base feature for every browser.

I also agree that this is a Killer Feature

4 Likes

It’s a very good option. We need it in Brave.

5 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, I don’t think containers are necessary at this point.

If you see my earlier post in this thread I give some high-level explanation. But if you look here you’ll see there’s a ton of protections enabled all the time, essentially automated, without the human cost and overhead of managing containers. https://brave.com/privacy-updates/

As I mentioned, I still use multiple profiles so that I can have multiple identities for the same site (e.g., multiple Google accounts) or different sets of extensions for different purposes. I could still see containers being useful for the former case. But for the second case, Containers (as implemented in Firefox) are totally useless, and in fact make things worse.

Hi everyone. New to Brave and happy to be here.

I will have to say myself, that the feature that I will miss most from my Firefox user experience is the containers feature.

Containers did a great job separating logins and cookies from the same sites if you have multiple accounts.

For example, I am an Office 365 admin for 5 different companies and I was struggling with the login credentials and cookies getting mixed up all the time. So I created a container for each one of them. This way, everything was clean and organized and no more mix-ups with logins and identities.

I hope that we will see such a feature in Brave soon.

2 Likes

I’m currently using Firefox as my main browser and Brave for when I need a chromium browser (for instance when using Meet). This is pretty annoying right now. The only thing that’s still keeping me from switching to Brave is the Firefox container tabs.

Yes Brave has a lot of amazing privacy and security features. But other browsers have that too. In the end nothing works better than completely containerising different environments. Currently only Firefox really provides this.

I want my work, banking, entertainment and Google websites not to be able to “see” eachother in any way but still have the convenience of having one browser window with tabs.

Yes there are profiles in most Chromium based browsers. But I think these serve a different purpose. They are useful if you have different users or use separate browser windows.

I think this feature would be KILLER. It would differentiate Brave from it’s competitors and instantly put Brave on top of all browsers privacy and security wise. This will be great for Brave and probably generate a lot of attention in the community.

Thanks for reading all of this! I hope you guys will seriously consider this.

2 Likes

I’d like to see this feature on Brave too.

1 Like