Equivalent of Multi-Account Containers or Temporary Containers Extension (FF)

That’s just the thing. Brave does site containerization for you already, automatically, without the baggage of manual container management. (And it’s getting better with every release.)

So if you aren’t separating things on the basis of needing multiple logins (different usernames) for a given site, then using Containers by hand is a bunch of unnecessary work in the Brave ecosystem.

Also, as a reminder (I have mentioned this before) – but those who are sticking with Firefox should bear in mind that Containers do not ‘contain’ your extensions. So for instance, if you use something like ‘Honey’ for shopping, this extension also has access to your other, potentially more sensitive containers. In either browser, Firefox or Chrom*-based browsers, you’d need a separate profile to split those out; but Chrom* (including Brave) makes this a bunch easier IMHO.

Not trying to come off like a propagandist or a fanboy here, I was in the same camp initially as well, until I had a firmer grasp of what Brave was already doing for me. And after I committed myself to a several-month period of kicking the tires with Brave I would never go back to the hassle of fiddling with Containers. “Letting go” has been great.

This is the exact feature that makes containers awesome in FF. In fact, the extension itself is called “Multi-Account Containers.”

Sure, but ‘multi-account’ is far from the only major role that Containers play in Firefox. It’s very much used as a cross-site anti-tracking mechanism.

As I mentioned earlier, you can still achieve the multi-account functionality using Profiles. And, as was also pointed out earlier, Profiles allow you to have separate extension sets in each which is not the case with Firefox’s Containers. (Sure, you can do Profiles in Firefox as well, but I suspect few use this functionality.)

Is one method better than the other, overall? I think that comes down to an individual’s use case. My point here is that, while the approaches are different, it’s important to recognize that many of the features that are commonly thought of as ‘missing’ in Brave are just being presented differently. And each approach has its own pros and cons – it isn’t an all-or-nothing bargain.

1 Like

you can still achieve the multi-account functionality using Profiles

One of the features I enjoy about multi-account containers in FF is the ability to mix tabs from different containers in the same user profile, even the same window. Visually it kind of looks like tab groups in Brave, but they have their own sets of cookies, etc.

Unless I’m missing something, it looks like profiles are a completely separate window with a completely separate set of settings, extensions, etc?

No you’re right, mix 'n match between profiles is not possible within a single window in Brave; they’re maintained in separate windows, or sets of windows – although they’re easy enough to switch and access thru the menu or Ctrl+Shift+M. From a UX perspective I’d still give the nod to FF containers on this point though.

In my case it was more important to have different sets of extensions as I discussed in a previous post, which is something not currently provided by FF containers.

As far as settings go, in Brave some are installation-wide and some are profile-specific. I wish I knew of a good doc that delineated them, but I don’t. But for example, each profile will have its own set of search engines, bookmarks, visual settings, and so on – but something system-level like DNS settings is shared across profiles.