Devtools Lose Syntax Highlighting

Description of the issue:
The dev tool (“Sources” tab) lost syntax highlighting for JavaScript.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

  1. Open any website with JavaScript.
  2. Ctrl+Shift+I to open dev tools.
  3. Go to “Sources” tab and Ctrl+P to open any .js file.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
No highlighting for JavaScript.

Expected result:
Has highlighting for JavaScript just like Chrome or Firefox.

Reproduces how often:
Always happens after 12:00PM (PST) today (12/12/2019).

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Brave 1.1.20 Chromium: 79.0.3945.74 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Revision 99b6d241cf84f7fa7434ae8a59f9e74eb1464280-refs/branch-heads/3945@{#888}
OS Windows 10 OS Version 1803 (Build 17134.1130)

Additional Information:

  • Can you reproduce this issue with the current release? Yes
  • Can you reproduce this issue with the beta channel? Yes
  • Can you reproduce this issue with the dev channel? Didn’t try.
  • Can you reproduce this issue with the nightly channel? Didn’t try.

Other Additional Information:

  • Does the issue resolve itself when disabling Brave Shields? No.
  • Does the issue resolve itself when disabling Brave Rewards? No.
  • Is the issue reproducible on the latest version of Chrome? No.
1 Like

The same bug detected on macOS, too :rage:

I am replying to my own post. So, thanks to Brian Clifton who confirmed the bug and provided a solution on the same Github issue I posted yesterday. Here is the link.

Here is the summary:

  1. Yes, this is a bug.
  2. This bug has been fixed and if you download Nightly or the Developer edition, and turn on “remote debugging”, the problem is gone.
  3. Brian Clifton has cherry picked the fix to the Beta release (1/6/2020).

It does work.

How stable is dev edition? Also, do you know by any chance how to import all settings/history to dev?

For me, this is the first time I am using the dev version so I am not sure how stable it is. But I have been running it for about 6 hours and so far, no crash or rendering glitches.

The only thing I want to export/import is the bookmarks. The settings I mostly left it to default. For passwords, I use Bitwarden so that’s not a problem. I guess, just my guess, if you can use the “sync” feature to get all your settings to the new browser.

Thanks for your insights!

After playing with Dev release a couple of hours, I’ve noticed that variable value popups are no longer available in “Source” tab of DevTools. What a pain, really!

So, the decision was quite obvious: rolling back to 1.0.x version (and blocking all attempts of Google-inspired autoupdates)

No problems :smile: I didn’t do much heavy frontend debugging with it the past few days so I can’t say for sure. But I just tried placing a break point and it seems working fine, when I mouse over the variable, I can see the popup that shoes the value of the variable. My dev version is:

Brave 1.3.66 Chromium: 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)
Revision 29f75ce3f42b007bd80361b0dfcfee3a13ff90b8-refs/branch-heads/3945@{#916}

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.