Dark mode - cannot be turned off - breaks functionality of many sites

Although Dark mode has undergone huge improvements recently, let’s face it…it is still not ideal and using dark mode breaks functionality of many sites. i.e. not showing pictures correctly, some website controls are not rendered correctly and they appear to be the same color as the background etc.

What I ask for is to have a possibility to turn off the dark mode for good and render websites as the dark mode never existed.

(example is a map provider)

I experimented with flags a little recently I mean both setting enabled/disabled and it brought no result.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Dark mode set ON for windows environment
  2. Dark mode in Brave cannot be turned on/off
  3. every website rendered in dark mode

Expected result: Dark mode in Brave to be set independently on windows setting. Having a possibility to manually control Dark mode settings in Brave.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.21.74 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information: Win10 64bit v. 1909

3 Likes

You can set the Dark mode independent of the Windows setting from the Brave Browser settings in the Appearance section. The setting is Brave Colours and the options are: Same as Windows, Light and Dark. Unless you have enabled ‘Force Dark Mode for Web Contents’ flag, even if your system setting is dark, the website should render in light mode. I’m trying to find a setting that allows me to disable the dark mode flag for a partiuclar website.

I think that you put the entire os on something like dark mode, or inverted colours
Go to Windows Settings → Ease of access → Colour filters and see if they are turned off

Hi, yes, I set the entire Windows in dark mode settings. I beelieve the option you mentioned is this one. It is currently set to “light”.
Althought my entire Brave experinece is in dark mode and i can’t see many of the controls or widgets on websites.

1 Like

Hi, I set the os to high contrast. Which overrides windows colours to something like darkmode. Or is it darkmode?

The setting you mentioned is this one and it is set off:
Snímek obrazovky (87)_proc

Sorry it is in czech, but it says “by pressing left alt+left shift+prtscr you can turn high contrast on and off”

Is this the problem? Can Brave browser be set independently?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.