CPU and RAM usage of Brave 60-100%

I have Windows 10. Brave browser takes up about 60-100 % of CPU and RAM. This is a line that takes up enormous amounts of CPU and RAM (from processexplorer):

“C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” --type=renderer --field-trial-handle=1632,18443902855631887517,15814311044384038930,131072 --enable-features=AutoupgradeMixedContent,BraveAdblockCosmeticFiltering,LegacyTLSEnforced,PasswordImport,PrefetchPrivacyChanges,ReducedReferrerGranularity,WebUIDarkMode,WinrtGeolocationImplementation --disable-features=AutofillEnableAccountWalletStorage,AutofillServerCommunication,IdleDetection,NetworkTimeServiceQuerying,NotificationTriggers,PasswordCheck,PrivacySettingsRedesign,SafeBrowsingEnhancedProtection,SignedExchangeSubresourcePrefetch,TabHoverCards,TextFragmentAnchor,WebOTP --lang=nl --origin-trial-public-key=bYUKPJoPnCxeNvu72j4EmPuK7tr1PAC7SHh8ld9Mw3E=,fMS4mpO6buLQ/QMd+zJmxzty/VQ6B1EUZqoCU04zoRU= --brave_session_token=13604444407555492265 --device-scale-factor=1 --num-raster-threads=1 --renderer-client-id=7 --no-v8-untrusted-code-mitigations --mojo-platform-channel-handle=2860 /prefetch:1

This is another line that takes up a lot:

“C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” --type=renderer --field-trial-handle=1632,18443902855631887517,15814311044384038930,131072 --enable-features=AutoupgradeMixedContent,BraveAdblockCosmeticFiltering,LegacyTLSEnforced,PasswordImport,PrefetchPrivacyChanges,ReducedReferrerGranularity,WebUIDarkMode,WinrtGeolocationImplementation --disable-features=AutofillEnableAccountWalletStorage,AutofillServerCommunication,IdleDetection,NetworkTimeServiceQuerying,NotificationTriggers,PasswordCheck,PrivacySettingsRedesign,SafeBrowsingEnhancedProtection,SignedExchangeSubresourcePrefetch,TabHoverCards,TextFragmentAnchor,WebOTP --lang=nl --origin-trial-public-key=bYUKPJoPnCxeNvu72j4EmPuK7tr1PAC7SHh8ld9Mw3E=,fMS4mpO6buLQ/QMd+zJmxzty/VQ6B1EUZqoCU04zoRU= --brave_session_token=13604444407555492265 --device-scale-factor=1 --num-raster-threads=1 --renderer-client-id=26 --no-v8-untrusted-code-mitigations --mojo-platform-channel-handle=4304 /prefetch:1

Is there anything I can do about this? Many websites, including my Kraken cryptocurrency exchange, often hang because of this enormous amount of CPU and RAM used.

1 Like

1 Like

I saw the remark about creating a new profile, but this does not make brave faster. A site like Kraken at once overloads the CPU and RAM.

Kraken? as in https://www.kraken.com/ what steps (on the site) would generate the excessive cpu usage? Without a login, the page loaded okay, no excessive cpu usage on the homepage.

Also, what does Brave, Settings, Task Manager show?

I showed the task manager. I don’t see a task manager in Brave.

Also test in private window mode.

If I use Tor the usage of CPU and RAM is way less. Would you suggest to always browse with Tor?

It should be work no differently. Does private window mode help? also what are you doing Kraken at the time causing the cpu usage? (which page/actions etc)

1. Are you on a laptop?
  2. What is your graphics card make and model?

I doubt they has a graphics card or looks like they have only 1-2GB of RAM total.

I think I got a fair videocard, not a superb one. At least no onboard one. I am on a PC. Can’t remember what type videocard it is. I don’think that is the problem. The problem with two sites I am having is that one site is an in-browser pokersite, which takes up a lot of memory and Kraken has to show the latest prices of coins, so it is busy too the whole time. But a browser of today should be able to cope with that, no?

So if you have only 1-2GB of RAM, then your page file would get churned a lot under Windows, and that would cause over 90% of disk access time, not soak up CPU time.

I wonder if one of the websites has an embedded crypto miner on it. That would certainly push your browser CPU usage to 90% or so. Did you whitelist this site from your malware package? What does your malware package say about this site? If you post the site address I can do a bit of research for you.

I did an investigation and saw that Windows 10 only set 3 Gig for virtual memory. I made it up to 25 Gig and now the CPU time seems far less. RAM is still very high in the task manager. Basically everything my computer does takes up 100-200 MB RAM and Brave takes up 800-900 MB. I got 8 gig of RAM installed. This should be more than enugh for this or not? At least adding virtual memory seems to have lessened the problem.
The sites are Kraken.com, my exchange. Surely trustworthy. Coingecko.com, probalby too. And Blockchainpoker.com, a pokerserver, surely they wont risk that.
The thing is that all these sites do something every second (showing current prices and showing cards).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.