Cookie security

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:

I received this notice on a Firefox browser:
Firefox is rolling out its strongest privacy protection to date: Total Cookie Protection confines cookies to the sites where they originated, preventing tracker cookies from following you from site to site.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I just opened my Firefox browser for a sight that does not work with Brave.
  2. Does Brave do this also?
  3. Thank you for your help.

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Additional Information:

Go to brave://settings/cookies

Check Block third-party cookies

Thank you. I did what you suggested.
Is that the same as what Firefox was talking about, and they are just introducing something Brave already had in place?

1 Like

@tkNormandy,
I believe so, although it may be closer to the Block all cookies settings in Shields:

Yes. My settings were already set as pictured in your screenshot.
Thank you for your help.

(post deleted by author)

At present, is the 4th option to turn On block cross-site cookies, then go into flags and turn off Ephemeral storage?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Thank you for the depth of your explanations, Emi; and for the link you provided. I have to admit, much of this is over my head but from what I now understand, and given the fact that I use my computers for work and very seldom watch videos, I think the settings Mattches showed are appropriate for my situation.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Did not even realize they changed this until your post. I did not have ephemeral storage enabled. Didn’t want it and, whether true or not, seemed like function had the potential for abuse if anyone wanted to go down that path.

What about disabling in brave://flags as long as the options are still available? Am I being paranoid and overly cautious because I really don’t know or understand the issue (as per another point you made in your post: “Most people don’t even know what Ephemeral Storage is or how it is being used”) What is your opinion? For the non-tech savvy, better to just leave default options in flags alone and use the block 3rd-party cookies in settings?

I just wish Brave would notify users of this type change and explain the pros, cons, impact, reasoning, etc. Maybe they do and I am just not finding the publications. And you are right, for the non-tech user, it is a matter of trust. Trust Brave to do the right thing for its end-users and protect their systems and browsing data. I am much happier with Brave’s approach and their stated objectives. However, as a non-tech savvy end-user, I am on the fence as far as trusting Brave to explicitly keep my best interests at heart. I wonder if I am being too naive.

@Emi Thank-you for the in depth explanation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Even in the documentation you linked above ( Ephemeral Storage Design), it indicates, to me anyway, it is not enabled by default. Looks to me like only Stage 4 is implemented and not Stage 5 (enable by default), but obviously that is not accurate.

Note: The initial PRs for ephemeral storage are not dependent on whether or not storage is blocked. Instead ephemeral storage is used for all third-party storage that is not blocked. This changes in PR #4, which brings ephemeral storage in line with the final design.

Hopefully, it is working as you explained and expect it to work and not faulty logic. Maybe this is only a display issue that again, hopefully, Brave will correct.

I know development and documentation are resource hogs, but I don’t think Brave has reached that happy middle with either. Each release stills feel like an unstable development project and not a stable release product if you know what I mean. Don’t get me wrong, I am sticking with Brave, but I do get frustrated with the way features and changes are released and the lack of notifications/documentation for the same.

Thanks again and take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do! And I guess if we had access to their full business plan with milestones we could more fully understand the decisions and priorities they set but that ain’t gonna happen. lol I need to just take things as they come and stop wishing I knew things that are none of my business. In other words, enjoy what I do like about Brave and forget the rest. :joy:

You have a nice day too! :smiley:

Continuing the Bitso App v3.16.2 (254)
Android 9 from Cookie security:

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.