Computer crashes/freezes randomly when using Brave

Description of the issue:

My compute will freeze. I’m not able to move the cursor using a mouse or the trackpad. Input via the keyboard has no affect either. To remedy the issue, I have to shut down the computer using the on/off button.

This issue seems to happen at random.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave.
  2. Have one or more tabs open.
  3. Hover over one of the tabs. This is key. Every single time this issue has occurred, my cursor is hovering over a browser tab (one of the tabs above the URL bar).

Expected result:

Computer shouldn’t freeze.

Brave Version:

Version 1.18.70 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

This happens randomly. I use Brave on a daily basis for multiple hours a day and this issue will happen every 1-2 weeks at most. That said, it’s been happening for over a year and with multiple versions of Brave. I actually stopped using Brave about a year ago because I couldn’t find anyone else with a similar issue. I recently decided to give Brave another try, figuring the issue was worked out in the updates to Brave since I stopped using it. Well, about a week into using Brave, the issue happened again. Then a week later it happened again and here I am.

I’ll also note that I’m using a Macbook Air that is on the latest macos update. To my knowledge, there are no other issues with the computer and no other program has triggered a freeze/crash like this.

It does not happen to me either (Windows 10).

1 Like

Hello
Have you tried to disable the hardware acceleration?
Settings -> Additional Settings -> System and disable the hardware acceleration

And check if the issue still continue

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll try that and see if it happens again. Will post back if so.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.