Can't receive notifications from news websites

Description of the issue:

Up to recently I was a Safari user and I have always receives notifications from news websites such as https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/ or https://www.noticiasaominuto.com/ (I’m Portuguese) even when the browser was closed.
After switching to Brave I could not receive notifications anymore, even after allowing them on those websites.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I go to the news website
  2. I turn off the browser shield so the notification enabling icon can appear (not sure if this was supposed to be necessary)
  3. I click on “allow notifications”
  4. They never appear

Expected result:

I have notifications enabled for those websites on Safari and I keep receiving them even when the browser is closed, so I know when they should pop up on Brave.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Also, out of curiosity, should I expect the notifications to appear even when the browser is closed? It happens with Safari and, if possible, I would like to have it also on Brave.

Thanks in advance

@Migurzz,
On your OS, can you check System Preferences --> Notifications and ensure that Brave is added to this list and allowed to display push notifications? Additionally, ensure that any Do not disturb settings are configured correctly and not blocking the functionality.

Yes, everything is correct.
I am receiving Brave Rewards notifications without any problem, if it helps

Hi @Migurzz We block website notifications due to privacy issues., so popular scripts like onesignal are blocked.

1 Like

Okay, so what can I do to receive the notifications? :sweat_smile:

Does anyone know how to unblock the notifications?

Disable site trackers/ads in shields for your favorite site (if you have too)

We’re including Notification servers into Easyprivacy (included in Brave by default). Not just because its an annoyance, but is a severe privacy issue. If a site can do it without tracking / fingerprinting a user, then we wouldn’t need to block them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.