OneSignal: Notifications are not received

Hello,

Description of the issue:
I use OneSignal on multiple sites. The request for notification authorization works, but receiving the notification does not work with Brave Browser. Yet with Google Chrome, everything is correct.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
For example (and analysis), I use the OneSignal demo page: https://onesignal.com/webpush

Expected result:
On Google Chrome, after allowing notifications for this site, clicking the notification button returns /api/v1/notifications (and displays the notification). Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hWFE6rUvaoqEDqMvEZsmiXCRqLvedhNb/view

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
On Brave Browser, having disabled all protections, I do the same thing. After allowing notifications for this site (until it’s okay), clicking the notification button does NOT return /api/v1/notifications (and the notification does NOT work.) Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GgC_AthG-PWtf8ANY38aGpAvf4gj3Gsp/view

Reproduces how often:
At each attempt.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Family version 1903
Brave Browser Beta : Version 0.69.107 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Build officiel) beta (64 bits)

Additional Information:
Same probleme on Brave Browser : Version 0.67.107 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Build officiel) (64 bits)

A solution ?

Thank you in advance !

@Jipem,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It looks like I can reproduce what you’re encountering on my end – visitng https://onesignal.com/webpush in Chrome and clicking the icons in the “See an example” section will show notifications as expected.

Brave however is unresponsive if the same process is attempted – there’s an error in the console with Shields up:

Shields down displays absolutely no console output. Not entirely sure what’s happening here but I’ve reached out to some team members who may have an idea of what’s going on. Appreciate your patience in the interim.

Okay, have a commit to be reviewed. Thanks for the report.

1 Like

But “Only applicable to the site onesignal.com and not other 3rd-party sites.”
So the problem will not be fixed since the notifications are not working on ANY site using OneSignal… :frowning:

A few example sites to test out?

@fanboynz et @Mattches : As described in my initial message, this problem is on all sites using OneSignal.

The reception of the notifications is in theory in 3 stages:

• Request for authorization of notifications by the browser: OK with Brave
  • Receiving notifications: Does not work with Brave (everything is OK with Chrome). As shown on my two videos of my initial message, the display of the notification is done by receiving /api/v1/notifications. On Chrome, we receive this return. On Brave it is blocked, so the notification is not received.

Some examples of sites using these OneSignal notifications. The request for authorization of the notifications by the browser works. Notification registration works. Once done, we receive in theory a first welcome notification that confirms the correct registration (as shown by Chrome, where everything is OK), then regular notifications. But on Brave, no notification is received, nor the one of welcome, nor the following ones:

Continuation of the previous message with some other examples:

Just had enough to see some notifications from the 1st post, 3 native browser notifications and 1 onesignal. Using Brave release, and Sheilds on.

Yes, these are the first two steps that work.
It is AFTER that it blocks.
After accepting the notifications, you must receive a welcome notification.
She is received on Chrome. She is BLOCKED on Brave.

Just some brief testing. seems to be okay?

What you watch there are the first two steps I say that works with Brave. It is AFTER that it blocks. To see it, compare it, and understand it, you have to use another browser.

Watch the two videos of my initial message.

Up to 8 secondes on Chrome’s video and 7 secondes on Brave’s, everything is OK and similar.
Then that’s where it BLOCKED.

On Chrome we get a return of /api/v1/notifications that displays the notification. On Brave she is NEVER received.

Using the example geeek.org, on Brave, NO notification (which must be received after the request for authorization of the notifications, so after what you watch on your previous video).

On Firefox (and Chrome), after authorization and registration for notifications, we receive the welcome notification :
Annotation%202019-08-21%20095933

This is the blocking step on Brave (notifications are NEVER displayed by this welcome notification or any other notifications).

I’ll look it later, but- even when testing side by side with Firefox+UBO vs Brave. I couldn’t see a difference. Given the tracking with onesignal, i’m not inclined to make any special provision to “make it work” vs privacy.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.