Can't get rid of Win7 warning

if a user doesnt install new softwares more often(mostly cracked versions), avoids .exe executable files from unknown publishers for whose software doesnt have digital signatures and disables remote connections, there would be absolutely no need for security updates…

i really dont care about Microsoft exiting support, its losing brave support bothering…

So your response to my query about how to get rid of an annoying and pointless warning is to change my operating system on 5 PCs, which would require replacing all that hardware, reloading, and in some cases updating software, which in some cases means buying new software, relicensing it, reconfiguring it on five PCs, plus stop doing several tasks for which I’m running specially written software that is Windows 7 specific and can’t be rewritten for Win 10/11? Or have I misunderstood?

Actually, I’m still getting Win 7 security updates.

Thanks. I really didn’t intend to start a discussion about updating. I just want to know if there’s a way to get rid of that annoying warning. I like Brave, and I don’t want to have to find an alternative.

1 Like

Yes im just like you but on win 8.1, i too dont want win 10 or 11… They are not as good as win 8.1 and Win 7… Win 7 and 8.1 are Legends.

Win 10 is an adware and win 11 is still in experimental stage but again its still a adware like its predecessor… Microsoft no longer respect user’s personal interests and keep pre-installing new apps on it every time a monthly windows update comes by… if Brave puts effort to make win 11 based custom OS by removing bloatwares, telemetry, setting most services to manual, reducing windows processes count, install win 7 and 8.1 themes, icons, aero support, win 8.1 modern taskbar looks, controlling timeframes how frequent a win updates comes by and removing unnecessary bloatwares that gets added on the monthly updates …well then, i’ll install that Win 11 based custom OS made by brave.

Yeah, but it’s ending. I talked about it over at Disable "To get future Brave updates, you'll need Windows-10 or later" message - #8 by Saoiray

The reason you were getting updates is because of the Windows 7 Extended Security Updates which is slated to end January 10, 2023, the same time Windows 8 support is dropping.

Chromium based browsers Vs Firefox…

currently on the pc platform there is only chromium vs Firefox

At least from now on, there should be three Chromium Vs Firefox Vs Blazekit (Brave’s new engine)

Chromium trend feels like the unreal engine of epic, yeah it might have some cool and advanced features but not all of the game studios are being dependent on it… For example, the good Capcom, although they have used unreal engine in the past, they made an tremendous effort to establish their RE Engine which is still great… The Story is to Start Something new, Brave’s independent Blazekit engine cant get to Chromium position instantly just like that, but with time, brave will eventually catch up!

If Brave does what other don’t, they will have an strong advantage

All these features are more impactful than brave wallet which brave is obsessed with…

There is a simple solution, at least for 32bit Win7 Desktop (I have no access to 64bit, so I can’t test this simple fix on that platform or on other versions of Brave):

Using a text editor (notepad.exe will work), create a .reg file called SuppressWIn7UpdateWrngBrave.reg (actually, you can call it anything.reg) with the following contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\BraveSoftware]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\BraveSoftware\Brave]
“SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning”=dword:00000001

Import it.

This will also work on Chrome by creating a Chrome Specific .reg file with the following contents:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome]

I know these work on Desktop versions. If you want a single .reg file that works on both Brave and Chrome, use this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\BraveSoftware]

1 Like

this “simple solution” doesnt work… unfortunately… the nagscreen appears anyway :frowning:

If it doesn’t work for you, then it’s not a solution for you, simple or otherwise. It works on my 32bit Win7. I don’t have 64bit to test it on.

Check your registry:

HKCU
Software
Policies
BraveSoftware (or Google)
Brave (or Chrome)
SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning

If it’s not working, either the entry isn’t compatible with 64bit (assuming that’s what you have) or the entry is wrong. If it’s not there, then the .reg file itself is problematic, perhaps an incomplete cut/paste. Are you sure the file was successfully imported into the registry? Did you look at the filename? Does is end with .reg? If it’s a 32bit/64bit question, you could try looking at other entries under HKCU/Software to see how they’re formatted.

Btw, noticed someone else replied with a link to Reddit where they discussed what to change, supposedly.

That was at Disable "To get future Brave updates, you'll need Windows-10 or later" message - #27 by pierredekat

And instead of just linking to a place where they then link elsewhere, the Reddit is https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/z9ay1h/how_do_i_disable_the_to_get_future_google_chrome/

So there may be that, though I’m still hoping to learn more directly from Brave later in the week.

1 Like

@gkarasik
@Saoiray
@WIN7pro

Here’s the resolution: the phrase

"SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"

MUST be surrounded by double quote ASCII 34 / Unicode 0022: "

Cutting-and-pasting … and the Brave Community editor … appears to have replaced the mandatory character with

left double quotation mark ASCII 0147 / Unicode 201C: “
right double quotation mark ASCII O148 / Unicode 201D: ”

The two new registry entries with the correct ASCII / Unicode characters are:

"SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"=dword:00000001

"SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"=dword:00000001

To confirm these registry edits succeeded, check the Registry Editor. Highlighting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\BraveSoftware\Brave and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome

the new Key (without quotes) should appear in the right-hand pane.

1 Like
Thanks very much.

This visual is completely false.

Yes, and the reverse is completely true.

@talgeeze what do you mean ? what is false ? sorry i dont understand what you’re claiming to be false.

All four have AV integration, all four are dropping Windows 7/8.1 support, both Brave and Firefox offer VPN functionality on mobile.

scratches chin interesting thread and as I will only use windows 7 as well… “What are the system requirements to install Brave?”
It clearly states windows 7 is all good to go…yes ?

For now.

New Tab - Brave 12_5_2022 15_11_21

what changed so radically that support has to end?