Can't download anything with Brave

Hello!
Everytime i try to download something with Brave i get the message “Failed - Insufficient permissions”. When i first installed Brave i could download normally, but suddenly it stopped letting me. With Chrome, i can still download normally.

I tried reinstalling the browser, but it didn’t fix. I tried following the fixes suggested by the page https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018192491-How-do-I-fix-file-download-errors- , but none of them worked.

I have the latest version of Brave installed.

Thank you.

could you disable all extension and try again and if it work then the issue either with one of your extension

if not then try to close brave then make sure it does not work in the background then right click the brave shortcut then run as administrator

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

None of the two suggestions worked, it’s still blocking my downloads and giving the same message.

Thanks for the reply, tho. Have a nice day as well.

you very welcome and thanks a lot
could you go to menu and try to create new profile

by the way what is your brave version?

It didn’t work :frowning_face:.

My Brave version is 1.23.75.

Have you tried saving files using “New Private Window”? Does it work?

Or go to Brave Settings>Additional Settings (a submenu opens up), at the bottom it says “Reset Settings”, click on “Restore settings to their original default”.

In the same menu you should also make sure that the Downloads folder is set up to:

“C:\Users\ Your User Name \Downloads”

If that doesn´t work try saving to a different folder and see what happens.

1 Like

Have you tried saving files using “New Private Window”? Does it work?

It didn’t work.

Or go to Brave Settings>Additional Settings (a submenu opens up), at the bottom it says “Reset Settings”, click on “Restore settings to their original default”.

Also didn’t work.

In the same menu you should also make sure that the Downloads folder is set up to:
“C:\Users\ Your User Name \Downloads”

I tried setting it to the Downloads folder, desktop, documents and creating a new folder in the desktop, but it still gave the same message “Failed - Insufficient permissions”.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Hi @Bruno2202
Can you download beta and test downloading?

Hi @Aa-ron,

It’s working with Brave Beta.
Do you suggest i start using Brave Beta now?

Thank you and have a nice day.

Hi @Bruno2202
Not exactly, If you want to you can. If Beta is working it could mean there are some updates that will come to Release and fix your issue. It could also mean your Release installation is corrupted.
Could you send a screenshot of the issue you’re having?
Can you confirm if you’re the admin or using the admin profile for your computer?

@Bruno2202,
Jumping in here – can you tell me if the Ask where to save each file is enabled or disabled? Then, try toggling that option to a different state and check to see if it makes a difference.

@Aa-ron,

Yes, the user i’m using is the admin.

I use this PC in my workplace, so the downloads i make are all excel files, pdf’s, jpg’s, and files alike, and all of them are getting blocked by the browser, but just now, i tried downloading the .exe file for Brave Beta setup through Brave browser and it didn’t block the download, so i did some tests.
When i try to download a pdf file to my desktop, for example, this is what happen:
Screenshot_1

“Falha - Permissões insuficientes” translates to “Failed - Insufficient permissions”

But when i remove the “.pdf” extension and change the type from (.pdf) to (.*), it downloads normally
Screenshot_2

So i guess it’s blocking some file types.

@Mattches,
It was enabled, so i tried disabling, as you suggested, but it still blocked the download.
But thank you anyways and have a nice day.

do you mean it work computer and does it work on something like active directory or ldap

cause that could be rule by the IT administrator even if you admin it will force their rule on anyone

ops sorry ignore that i forgat that you already said it work on the beta version so that not the case sorry for that

@Bruno2202 Do you have any anti-virus software installed? Perhaps Malware Bytes, or Windows Security Essentials (Defender)? I was doing a bit of scanning across the Web today for users who have experienced this issue, and one potential explanation is that something has been installed which altered the permissions on your machine. If you have an anti-virus application, I would suggest running a scan to see if anything has been recently detected and/or quarantined/deleted.

2 Likes

@sampson,
Thanks to you i solved the problem. I do have Avast Premium and after your post i decided to try downloading something with my Avast modules disabled (something i should have already tried before), and it didn’t block. So i checked what was going on with Avast and i saw that, for some reason, Avast added Brave to a list of blocked apps which was blocking the ransomware module and, thus, causing every download to be stopped.
Thanks @sampson and everyone else that tried to help. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.