Cannot update / install Brave - Error 0x80070005

My Windows 10 laptop suddenly had an error when trying to update Brave:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Failed to cache the downloaded installer. Error: 0x80070005. (error code 7: 0xA043050D – system level).

I tried:

• Rebooting
  • Updating from two different network connections (home & work)
  • Running the Brave installer to install the latest version on top of what I had. Brave installer returns “Failed to cache the downloaded installer. Error: 0x80070005.”
  • Disabling AV software (I only use Windows Defender on this system)

None of these worked, so I uninstalled Brave and tried re-running the installer. Getting the same error (Failed to cache the downloaded installer. Error: 0x80070005.)

So now I’m Brave-less. I searched this forum for the issue, and got four hits - 3 were for Windows 7, and one didn’t specify, but it had no answers (Update and compatibility issues).
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Download and install Brave Windows 64-bit.

Expected result:

Brave installs without error.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Not sure about version, but I only installed Brave on this computer a month ago.

1 Like

Awesome news! I was able to find a fix to this. It seems to be linked directly to my Windows user account. By default, WIndows 10 has an account called “Administrator” that is disabled in Workgroup environments (which is what you likely have on your home computer). I enabled the Administrator account, changed the password, logged in as Administrator, and was able to install Brave, then disabled the Administrator account again. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to install the next update through my personal account, but at least I have a way to update it if I can’t.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.