Cannot disable OSD from brave://flags

Description of the issue:
#hardware-media-key-handling missing from brave://flags/

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open any tab with sound
  2. Use media keys (keyboard keys for laptop or custom set buttons from mouse) for volume up/down

Expected result:
Only the volume to be seen

Brave Version( check About Brave):
[Version 1.38.109 Chromium: 101.0.4951.41 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional Information:
Issue was solved previously by disabling #hardware-media-key-handling missing from brave://flags/ , in my current build the flag no longer exists

I’m having the exact same issue, I’ve been looking for a fix that doesn’t use that flag but I haven’t been able to find anything that works.

1 Like

Welcome to the connumity. :slightly_smiling_face:

Community member myself and just ran across two other topics relating to this. Posting them below for reference. The topics mentioned a workaround but I couldn’t find what the heck they were talking about! lol If you figure it out, can you please post an update? Thank-you very much. :smiley:

Think I’ve found a reddit post about the flag.

The flag:
https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/udlepu/comment/i6ibwxn/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Search for a flag called #temporary-unexpire-flags-m100 , enable it and relaunch the browser, then search for #hardware-media-key-handling and the flag should appear.

Edit: this workaround link was actually posted a couple of days ago by @NootNoot - posted the topic link below.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

That reddit post has the correct answer. Search brave flags for temporary, enable m100, relaunch, search hardware media, disable, relaunch.

This is the way.

1 Like

The correct way is to just update Brave to have this flag back.

@talgeeze This is a chromium package flag. Do you know if Brave can easily implement the code for these flags in future releases once they are no longer available in chromium? I don’t even know if that is an option.

Just posted by another community member. Looks like it is not the exact flag as before but hopefully it works the same…

It is one variable in a file, so it is fairly easy to change. Though it is currently set to expire in May 2023.
Might expire sooner if they implement a proper setting like they have planned.

1 Like

Flags are temporary creatures.

It’s the exact same flag. They haven’t changed a thing about it.

1 Like

Cool. I don’t remember seeing the “MediaSessionService” required on the other description. Could have been and I just don’t remember! Do you know what that is btw?

Probably should stop being lazy and just look it up! lol

Short version: MediaSessionService is what manages media in Chrome. It allows things like individual tab muting or the media control panel in Chrome.
I don’t think you can disable it. Not easily at least.

1 Like

I was able to fix the issue after setting #hardware-media-key-handling to disabled from flags

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.