Browser won't update even after reinstall + youtube videos keep pausing

Description of the issue:
about a month ago i noticed some strange problem on youtube where it would automatically pause any video i would try to watch even when i press play it paused a moment later.if i loaded the embedded version of a video it would run just fine. I then considered updating the browser manualy (brave://settings/help) but after about a minute or 2 it would spit out this error code:
An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80080005 – system level).
This seems to be the related.
I then proceeded to completely reinstall brave with the then latest version (BraveBrowserSetup.exe 13/09/22) which brought the version to:
Version 1.44.101 Chromium: 106.0.5249.65 (Official Build) (64-bit).
never the less both issues persisted.

How can this issue be reproduced?
I have no idea how it broke so bad.

  1. go to brave://settings/help.
  2. wait ~5 min till update fails.
  3. get frustrated.
  • OR
  1. go to watch any video on
  2. press play to see the computer stubbornly pause moments later and keeps pausing every time.
  3. get frustrated or go to the embedded URL of that video.

Expected result:
updater performs update to the latest version and youtube playback doesn’t pause unless a corresponding input is given

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.44.101 Chromium: 106.0.5249.65 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
downloading the latest (08.10.22) setup file and running it without uninstalling brave will result in a short download and install and then a message declaring installation successfull. starting brave the first time after doing so would start 4 backround prosseses and after a couple of minutes the window would appear with no changes being made to version or otherwise.

here is the regestry page:

From your description, it seems something is interrupting long processes. And I would believe it is something external to Brave. Actually you already did the test, by reinstalling Brave it did not fix the issue.

Do you have any extensions? If yes, did you try to disable them all?
Does it happen with a newly created profile?
When you reinstalled Brave, did you uninstall first? Or did you run the update on top of the existing one?
Did you install or update any other software about the time this started happening?
Are you running any anti-virus or firewall other than those included in Windows?

It will be a hard work to identify the source of the issue. But you need to look at all possibilities and try one by one.


Try this

  1. Clear browsing history
  2. Disable extensions
  3. Disable hardware acceleration
  4. Re-update Brave as follows:

Open brave://settings/help, click on the word 'Version, 'download setup.exe and re-install Brave.

If this doesn’t work and the issues still persist, Install the extension YouTube NonStop from the link below:

The only extension dark reader hasn’t caused the issue even after removing it completely nothing changed.

after uninstalling and deleting any remaining files and folders relating to brave I could find and then reinstalling for a third time it would appear that the updater started working again for now anyways…
YouTube is still broken though.

I saw an error in the top left menu when I first launched that Avira antivirus had (without asking for permission) installed three different extensions all of which I removed. Had already forgotten that it does that. I am going to try disabling or removing Avira next. I am very suspicious of it now.

Unfortunately Avira has somehow infected Brave. Even after uninstalling both Avira and Brave, tracking down remaining folders of both in appdata; programs/-x86 and programm files and the entries in the regestry, restarting the PC and making a clean install of Brave. The apparently immortal Avira extensions STILL REAPPEARED!!!

Can someone please help me get rid of the Malware that Avira brought on my PC.

I had similar experience years ago. Apparently there were two versions of Avira circulating around. One was literally malware with the allowance of Avira.
I do not recall which tool I used to clean up, but it was not easy task.
Since then I do not trust third party anti-virus. Truth be told, nowadays the OS security tools are good enough and no need for extra stuff.

Got mine straight from their website. I am out of ideas apart from quitting windows entirely or at least doing a system reset from the settings menu if that would even help.

I just found out that youtube demands cookies to run uninterrupted I will open another ticket for this.

The last reinstall got the updater working again.
If the updater breaks again I will make a ticket specifically for that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.