Browser history in 'private' mode not private

I frequently view table tennis on youtube’s olympics channel. If you refer to attached image you can see that even though I’m in private mode and using a VPN, some youtube still knows to suggest table tennis video clips in private mode. I’ve suspected for a while that my youtube browsing/viewing preferences are somehow passed on to youtube’s/google’s backend server in private window.

I think this should be corrected asap.

I am using Version 1.50.114 Chromium: 112.0.5615.49 (Official Build) (64-bit)

thx

@attilathebun seems you fail to understand what Private mode is and what you’re seeing. You’re showing that you are watching a video. YouTube is then suggesting videos on the right based on the link you’re visiting. If you leave it alone and have auto play turned in, it will actually show you the video that is on top.

Private just means it clears your search history and cookies when you exit. It doesn’t “break” sites from showing suggestions based on what you’re looking at and doesn’t turn you into a ghost where they have no idea you’re even looking at their content. Also it doesn’t hide your IP address or anything. So when you visit the site in Private, if they are logging your IP address upon visit, then it will still see you and have suggestions based on that.

You may want to check out the links below:

Also:

So yeah, if you’re not using a good VPN, making sure to use strict Shields settings, etc then it’s not going to make much difference.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.