Brave - Widevine on Ubuntu ARM64

Hi, I’ve installed Ubuntu ARM on my M1 Mac and have been using Brave as my default browser. I noticed that I can’t watch content on streaming services like Netflix or Disney+, getting errors like 7701-1003. From my research, I found that these streaming services depend on a plugin called “Widevine”. In brave://components, the Widevine plugin appears, but it’s outdated. It shows version 0.0.0.0 and when I press the Check for update button, I get an error. I also checked and the Widevine plugin was enabled since the installation of Brave. Further research led me to a Widevine installer for Ubuntu ARM on GitHub. The installation worked, but there were no changes in the browser. I also replaced the files in the WidevineCdm folder in Brave’s directory with the files obtained after the installation, but I’m still getting the same errors. So, I was wondering if someone here can explain me how to get Widevine working. It’s the first time that I use a support page but I hope I’ve explained my issue clearly. Thank you very much.

@yoshitearde most important thing to check is something I wasn’t noticing you mention, did you ever enable Widevine? This is a toggle at brave://settings/extensions

Yes, I’ve enable Widevine. That’s the first thing I did. At this point I suppose that the Widevine version that I’ve installed is outdated too.

1 Like

@yoshitearde thanks for confirming that. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to skip the obvious if that might have been why.

I’m not familiar with Linux, but are you able to do the equivalent of Run as administrator such as can do on Windows? If so, try that. I think based on you saying it shows Version 0.0.0.0 that it might be a known issue happening to people on occasion where a folder is being marked as admin only while the rest of the browser isn’t, so it basically “hides” the components and is unable to update or use.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.