Brave torrenting does not use vpn extension

Description of the issue:

Brave torrenting ignores the VPN extension and connects directly to other peers.
(Brave torrenting is also not available in TOR mode).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Use TCPView to view internet connections
  2. Activate VPN extension Private Internet Access
  3. Notice all brave connections connect through customer.sharktech.net
  4. Start any torrent
  5. Notice many new connections directly to peers ips.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

All torrenting connections connect directly to peers.

Expected result:

All brave connections connect through customer.sharktech.net

Reproduces how often:

100% of attempts

Brave Version(about:brave):

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

yes

Additional Information:

I’m assuming it’s a Brave flaw and not PIA. This seems like a major oversight. Especially since torrenting is not enabled in private TOR windows. Using the desktop version of PIA is not an option in my situation

2 Likes

I’ve opened an issue. https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/3389

2 Likes

@toml I don’t think this is brave’s fault. I tried discussing this once with one of the service providers inviting them to this topic - Discussion with Proxy / VPN providers that offer SPDY-HTTPS/2 Solutions

I haven’t received an answer yet, however, I believe the issue is specific to WebTorrent itself, perhaps it may be best to get some input/cc @feross on Github.

I feel like VPNs should either work or they shouldn’t be available. Someone who installs a VPN extension shouldn’t have to test what works and doesn’t, and they shouldn’t be surprised to find that some of the things they do in their browser don’t go over their VPN. So to the extent that we support whatever method VPN extensions use, we should support it fully. And if we don’t support it fully, we shouldn’t support it at all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.