Brave statistics on the home page (does it work properly on Linux)

Note! I have a Finnish version of Brave, so my translations may be incorrect. :wink:

Last night I took a screenshot of Brave’s front page. See pic. 1. The figure shows that “Bandwith saved” is 1.60 GB (I assume it’s a gigabyte - sometimes bits and bytes get mixed up). There is also something wrong with Brave’s translation (Iso-Britannia = Great Britain = GB = gigabyte) :laughing:

After that, I downloaded 20 GB of data. See text file.
I took the screenshot again, but “bandwidth saved” didn’t change. And has not changed yet.

I don’t understand how this (Bandwidth saved) should work. Or does it work on Linux at all?
Another question. What exactly does that “Bandwith saved” mean. To be precise what is “saved”?

[Versio 1.14.84 Chromium: 85.0.4183.121] (https://brave.com/latest/)
Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20200923

1 Like

Hello @RaijaR

the Bandwith saved mean the amount of data you saved by blocking ads and tracker

nothing related to your downlaod

so when brave block ads or tracker it save you the amount of the bandwidth of the sizze of that ads or tracker
and i read in other post that they will fix the translation issue in the future release

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

I understand this, but I don’t understand how bandwidth can be saved. You can save the amount of data, but how can you save bandwidth? After all, bandwidth is fixed, at least in Finland, and the customer cannot influence it. Or is it about caching technique?

Can you put here some link about bandwidth saving so I could study the matter. Maybe it’s about the difference in technology in different countries? Or in terminology. Or a popular definition.

bandwidth here mean data according to your way

i think they could change it to data as many people could miss understand the meaning of bandwidth

and have a nice day

You are right. I’m telecommunication engineer, but I still did not understand (or perhaps because of that) what is meant by bandwidth in this case.

And one more point in the translation.

In Finnish it reads: Kaistanleveys tallennettu.
“Tallenettu” is not exactly the same as English “saved”. “Tallenettu” rather means “store”, “save the file”, maybe “bank”.
If the intention is to say that data has been saved, then in this case the Finnish word “säästetty” should be used. “Säästetty” means, for example, that I save money by buying from an offer. Or I save on gasoline when I drive economically.

So it could be: Dataa säästetty (Time saved = Aikaa säästetty).

This is the correct word order in Finnish. And in the words “dataa” and “aikaa” there is no typo, “extra” the letter “a” is relevant. :slightly_smiling_face:

i think they use the same term we use when we host a website if you host any site you will find the hosting service use the term bandwidth to determine how much data can be transferred per month for that site based on the payment option you used

and for the finish translation i would ask @Mattches to update the translation but could you suggest the better word or sentence to use

is it

or something else and have a nice day both of you

Ooops, I read that but didn’t actually send my reply – apologies for the delay.

@RaijaR,
I’ve informed the team of the issue and have submitted a fix for the translation. Appreciate your reporting.

Thank you both. :finland: :bouquet: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When do we get a better translation for Brave?
Mobile phone version is updated but version 1.16.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.198 is not.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.