Brave says "Unresponsive" when trying to open up the Windows 11 app

The troubleshooting that I’ve done so far:

1. System update for laptop
  2. Checked for driver updates
  3. Un-installed / Re-installed the app

Before and after re-installing the app it shows the same thing.

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

When I try opening up Brave, I get a foggy white screen that says, “Brave (Not Responding)”.

To reproduce this I just need to try and open Brave back up.

Expected result:
I get a foggy white screen that says, “Brave (Not Responding)”.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
108.1.46.144 (Checked through Apps & Features)

At this point, I’m just looking to retrieve my bookmarks and some tabs that I’ve already had that were open before this issue. Is there a way I can retrieve this information without needing to open up Brave?

Unsure if you can get the tabs. %userprofile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default stores your bookmarks file.

Could try renaming %userprofile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware-bak Then re-open Brave, which will be clean, with hopefull no crashes.

@fanboynz Hey man, thanks for the quick response. Can you send me a path to retrieve that file? When I click on “open file location” it doesn’t pull up any files other than the .exe file.

“Bookmarks” (file) under %userprofile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default backup this

Also renaming the folder %userprofile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\ to -bak or what ever. then restart Brave

1 Like

@fanboynz So I did those 2 steps but when I open Brave up again it pulled up with a white blank screen saying “Brave (Not Responsive)”.

Maybe there is something else, but install maybe Beta? does it work in Brave beta? if not, something else is causing it

@fanboynz I downloaded the beta ver. and it seems like I can use this browser for now. How do I import the reg. Brave bookmark files into the beta ver.?

I searched around and it says on the beta that I can import an HTML file for my bookmarks to show. However, in your steps above, I have the bookmark files from the reg. ver. but it’s in “.bak” ver. Is there another that’s in HTML ver.?

Also, just so I don’t have this happen again, is there a way I can duplicate these files and put it on all of my browsers? (I tend to use my laptop a lot.)

Just copy the bookmarks file from one profile to another (via the file manager).

I’m pretty sure I’m doing it right but It doesn’t let me. it only accepts HTML bookmark files and both of the files that I have are .BAK files.

And the brave beta profile will be, copy and pasta.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser-beta\User Data\Default

Okay gotcha, thanks man. It’s 4am where I’m at so I’ll work on this when I wake up. I’ll let you know how it goes for me. Night dude

@fanboynz I dragged the 2 bookmark files from the reg. Brave folder onto the beta ver. folder but it still isn’t showing any bookmarks

Here’s a screenshot of what my beat folder looks like now. The 2 bookmark files are the only files that came over from the reg. Brave folder

@fanboynz Hey man, did I misunderstand a step or am I doing everything correctly so far?

Okay, I thought it would’ve work. Maybe I was wrong try exporting html bookmarks, and then importing.

@fanboynz So, the bookmark files that I have are only in “.bak” file types not “.html” files. How do I get the “.html” ver.?

and the import into another Brave build worked.

@fanboynz Thanks for the screenshot it was helpful! I think I’m still misunderstanding you though. Because I found the reg. Brave folder through the Run App I dragged both bookmark files onto my desktop but when I clicked “Export Bookmark” those files aren’t appearing. Can you post more screenshots step-by-step of what you’re seeing because I’m still not seeing it correctly.