Brave removed ALL my saved passwords

Brave deleted all my saved passwords out of nowhere. I was using my computer with no problem, left for 1 hour and when I came back I see that all my sessions are ended, so I tried to log in back in some websites but there’s no saved password anymore. It’s all gone.

I see that this has happened before, has Brave support done anything to solve this??

Brave Version( check About Brave): v1.49.128

@luisxd what OS are you using? Did it happen when you updated?

Windows 10 Pro 22H2. I did not update anything, it happened while I was AFK.

So no answer lol…

Is there a way to insert the old passwords file into the new profile or something like that?

So sorry for dropping off @luisxd, lost track on this one. @Mattches can you help to take a look?

This is likely part of a known issue we are looking to address. I will pass your report onto our developers for review. In the meantime, can you tell me whether or not any other data was deleted/cleared from your browser other than passwords?

Only the passwords, my other settings are still there.

Thank you for confirming. We’ll be looking into your and other data loss cases to try and determine the cause.

For what it’s worth I had the same problem happen today. I have Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 and Brave version 1.49.132, it looks like it just updated this morning. Just the passwords dissappeared as far as I can tell, bookmarks and history are still there.

2 Likes

In this page brave://settings/passwords you are able to export and import passwords. In /home/frank/snap/brave/181/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default you may find with find recursevely using exarg your passwords encrypted and encrypted with is your pwd and you may be able to patch from older catalogues below ~/snap/brave/181/.config/…: Export/Import is more straight forward.
Another way is to move the symbolic link in order to point toi and earlier version and then do an export and then more the link back to lastest version with lost passwords and do an import,
drwxr-xr-x 5 frank frank 4096 Nov 29 17:04 189
drwxr-xr-x 5 frank frank 4096 Mar 24 07:45 218
drwxr-xr-x 5 frank frank 4096 Mar 29 23:43 220
lrwxrwxrwx 1 frank frank 3 Apr 6 09:11 current → 222
drwxr-xr-x 5 frank frank 4096 Apr 6 09:11 222
Sorry by the way this has to be tried on Windows. I haven’t tried that yet.
Anyway an export is CSV and you should be able to write you own export and then import in the version with lost passwords.
Sample export:
name,url,username,password
community.brave.com,https://community.brave.com/,[email protected],justapassword
accounts.google.com,https://accounts.google.com/v3/signin/challenge/pwd,[email protected],justapassword
login.schibsted.dk,https://login.schibsted.dk/authn/,[email protected],justapassword

Can you tell us a bit more about how you’re using Brave? Do you have Sync enabled, so as to share passwords (and/or other types of data) between other devices running Brave? If you aren’t running Sync, could you tell us a bit about how you’ve determined the passwords are lost. For example, are you not invited to auto-fill forms when you revisit certain domains, or are you checking the Password Manager itself in brave://settings/passwords? Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reaching out on this. I only use Brave on a desktop PC, not syncing with any other device. The day I discovered the issue I had gone to log in to my online banking, and the autofill did not populate anything. I assumed they had changed the sign-in, or some glitch happened, anyway I couldn’t remember the password offhand so I went into the Password Manager to see what it was. There I discovered my saved passwords completely empty, where previously there was a page or two of them. In searching for what might have happened, or a solution of some kind, I came on your forum and someone apparently having a very similar issue. Since then I have been putting in passwords as needed, it has been saving them and everything seems to be working fine.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.