Brave really seems to struggle with youtube

I wasn’t initially going to make a bug report because I didn’t want to sign up, but the issue has got so bad it felt like I should. I made a post on reddit last night, but it’s got worse.

So my issue is with youtube. I have two main things happening.

1. The video feed is very, very choppy. It feels like the videos are going at 10fps or less. The audio plays fine with no hitches/glitches. I was able to isolate the fact that this is a brave issue, because whenever this happens (often) I copy the paste into Chrome and Firefox, and the videos play fine there.

2. Youtube makes Brave ratchet up CPU usage to a pretty crazy level. My fans were blowing pretty hard tonight (which usually means the CPU is being stressed). So I opened task manager and Brave was using ~35-40% of the CPU. As soon as I paused youtube it went down to 1.6%. I played the same video in Chrome and Firefox, and neither got above 7% CPU load with the same video playing.

For a bit of context, I am using 32gb Ram 3200mhz, as well as a 7700k for my CPU. So it shouldn’t be an issue spec wise. The fact that a youtube video can get a relatively powerful CPU up to that high of usage is worrisome.

Someone on reddit recommended turning off hardware accelerated video encoding/decoding. I tried that but I can’t tell much of a difference.

Windows 10 1909

[Version 1.11.101 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.