Brave not updating

1. Settings - about brave

Expected: automatic update

Actual: no update happens

Version: Version 1.39.122 Chromium: 102.0.5005.115

Yes, I read on other topics about the solution to save profile files and reinstall, I would like to have the automatic updates functioning.

Thank you!

How did you install Brave initially?

I don’t remember , probably with a .deb package

OK, well this is critically important.

If you installed it using your distro’s package repo, then you would expect updates to come from that same repo so you’d want to contact the package’s maintainer if that isn’t happening.

If you didn’t already do so, I strongly recommend you use these instructions brave.com/linux and then you should get updates directly from the Brave repo.

ok, I installed it again from there and will see in the future if it updates

1 Like

yes, I’ve got brave 1.40.107 on xubuntu 22.04 and the past few times I’ve apt updated, there seems to be a DNS or server issue with the repo. The version mentioned in today’s tweet (1.40.113) isn’t mentioned in the release notes here…
I really hope I don’t have to remove/reinstall and re-sync…

UPDATE - rebooted my desktop and re-initiated an apt update and kablammo! i was able to upgrade. I now type to you from within v1.40.113 of brave

1 Like

yes, I also have 1.40.107 and it is not updating automatically from the ‘About’ menu.
I see that the latest build is .41.100.

Any idea what could be the cause?
I did install brave as indicated above in this topic.

thank you.

Brave will not update from the ‘About’ menu on Linux, because the installation is being managed by your Linux distribution’s package manager.

If you tell us which distro you’re on we might be able to help you check that your package manager is set up correctly.

ok, the distro is Linux Mint 19 Tara

What happens if you do the following in a terminal window?

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
apt-get --only-upgrade install brave-browser

1 Like

Here are the outputs. The second one has updated brave after starting and restarting it.
Some text is in German, but I think it is understandable what happened.
The question is if now the updates using the about menu work or if I need to upgrade manually like this or through the update manager.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
sudo apt-get --only-upgrade install brave-browser
[sudo] Passwort für xxx: 
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
  brave-browser
1 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 343 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen 96,0 MB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
Nach dieser Operation werden 1.231 kB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Holen:1 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable/main amd64 brave-browser amd64 1.41.100 [96,0 MB]
Es wurden 96,0 MB in 8 s geholt (12,0 MB/s).                                                                                                                          
(Lese Datenbank ... 249210 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../brave-browser_1.41.100_amd64.deb ...
Entpacken von brave-browser (1.41.100) über (1.40.107) ...
brave-browser (1.41.100) wird eingerichtet ...
Trigger für desktop-file-utils (0.23+linuxmint5) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) werden verarbeitet ...

So this command-line based upgrade worked, correct?

If so, then I would expect Brave to upgrade whenever the rest of your system does, as it’s all using the same package management tools.

I cannot think of a scenario where a packaged Linux installation will update thru the ‘About’ menu, as it does on Windows (and presumably on macOS, although I’m not sure).

yes it worked, the browser got updated, I will then update it manually.

In that case I think that should be mentioned on the Linux page as well, so that users know what to expect.

Thank you for the help and explanation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.