Brave not loading certain pages until I reclick the URL and press enter

For the last few days, several pages have not been loading when opening a new link (on M1 Mac)

They don’t load any content and show a spinning circle next to the website URL in the tab title. The only way for them to load is to click on the URL and press enter manually. I’ve disabled all extensions, cleared the cache etc… but nothing seems to solve the issue.

Any pointers on how to resolve this would be appreciated

1 Like

Reddit post on the same topic. This is becoming very frustrating

1 Like

@gbz

Something of a crash course on Brave Browser desktop settings . . .

Recommended in order to Start Up Brave Browser lean instead of burdened:

In a Brave Browser - New Window, go to: brave://settings/getStarted

• Select: Open a specific page or set of pages
  • Select: Add a new page
  • Enter: about:blank (notice the colon)

Recommended: Use a Brave Browser > New Private Window

Recommended Brave Shields version is v1

In a Brave Browser - New Window, go to: brave://flags

Search for: Enable Brave Shields

• DISABLE: Enable Brave Shields v2
  • ENABLE: Enable Brave Shields v1

Recommended GLOBAL SHIELDS settings:

In a Brave Browser - New Window, go to: brave://settings/shields

• Enable: Show the number of blocked items on the Shields icon

If ‘Default view’ option is available, select: Advanced view

• Disable: Auto-redirect AMP pages (AMP - Google’s Accelerated Mobile Page)
  • (Alternate setting for older Brave Browser versions, try: Disable Enable De-AMP at brave://flags)
  • Enable: Prevent sites from fingerprinting me based on my language preferences
  • Trackers & ads blocking: Aggressive
  • Enable: Upgrade connections to HTTPS
  • Enable: Block scripts
  • Block fingerprinting (aka Fingerprinting blocking): Strict, may break sites
  • Block cookies (aka Cookie blocking): Only cross-site

Recommended in order to reduce influence by websites:

In a Brave Browser - New Window, go to: brave://settings/content

Scroll down to “Additional permissions” . . . and set:

• Protocol handlers: Don't allow sites to handle protocols
  • File editing: Don't allow sites to edit files or folders on your device
  • Clipboard: Don't allow sites to see text or images on your clipboard
  • Window placement: Don't allow sites use info about your screens to open and place windows

Scroll down to “Content” . . . and set:

• Pop-ups and redirects: Don't allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects

Next, go to: brave://settings/cookies

• Enable: Block third-party cookies
  • Disable: Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows

Using the Walmart website as an example of how you may Allow cookies and javascripts:

Continuing, at: brave://settings/cookies

Scroll down that settings page, to Sites that can always use cookies

Click the Add button

Enter [*.]walmart.com:443 as the site . . . but Do Not Enable

• Current Private session only
  • Including third-party cookies on this site

Click the Add button

Repeat those steps for:

• https://csp.walmart.com:443
  • https://www.walmart.com:443

Next, go to: brave://settings/content/javascript

Scroll down that javascript settings page to Allowed to use javascript

Click the Add button

Enter [*.]walmart.com:443 as the site . . . but Do Not Enable

• Current Private session only

Click the Add button

Repeat those steps for:

• [*.]wal.co:443
  • [*.]walmart.com:443
  • [*.]walmartimages.com:443
  • https://www.google.com:443

You can discover sources for cookies and javascripts, by learning how to use:

• Developer Tools > Network tool
  • Developer Tools > Application tool

How to use Developer Tools

Developer Tools > Network tool is where you may search for sources of scripts and other items that will qualify despite their not being obvious scripts.

Developer_Tools_-Application-_Cookies__example_Amazon.com_00

Developer Tools > Application tool is where you will find sources of cookies.

Using site-specific Shields (v1) panels:

Brave Help Center not long ago, had site-specific Shields (v1) guidance and illustrations (that you see, immediately above), but now has site-specific Shields (v2):

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023646212-How-do-I-configure-global-and-site-specific-Shields-settings-

Already reported: Slow loading or No loading

Also, provide the info in the github: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/23187

1 Like

Thanks, I went to brave://flags/ disabled “Enable Brave Shields v2” and enabled “Enable Brave Shields v1” and things seem to have improved massively. I will report back once I’ve had more time to confirm

2 Likes

Based on these forums, Reddit and GitHub there are THOUSANDS affected by this MAJOR issue; yet not a peeps from Brave!
Countless hours have been lost and mountains of aggravation caused.
I can go on & on at how unacceptable/unforgivable this is…
There is a limit as to how much we can all continue sacrificing as we try to convince ourselves that its all a fair exchange for the Brave ‘so-called’ faster/safer.
BS! In years, there has yet to be 7 straight days of Brave error free.
This latest one though takes the cake. Click after click and sites simply wont load. For weeks!
Wow, I havent been this mad in a long time…
Feels like the suitcases we sent in the Iran deal…
#GonnaShutUpNow

1 Like

So what is the story here? There are too many forum topics to keep up with, and naturally Brave’s ridiculous and tedious “AUTO CLOSE THREADS” just magnifies the problems.

I’m a UX designer and this has to be one of the most consistently frustrating problems on the web. Though it makes sense to auto-close a thread if no comments replies in one year, I cannot see a good use case rationale for the need to auto close threads after merely 1-2 months of no activity. To me this is typical copycat internet behavior from SYS ADMINS: Usually it is always Google who starts this kind of non-useful practice, and they are one of the most illogical & stealthy companies that operates period, you can never get an actual answer from them… But then like clockwork, if GOOGLE starts some nonsense like this “AUTO-CLOSE THREADS”, then SYS-ADMINS all across the web play copy-cat without questioning, without analysis, they all take this really dumbed-down assumption that “If Google does it, it must be best practices”.

No, it is not best practices. The value of keeping threads open, particularly for ongoing problems that generate tons of duplicative threads are many: (1) Consolidation of topic focus, (2) the people who have initially reported a problem in a new thread + the people who respond to those problems are almost always the most informed people about new answers either adding to, providing value, or providing no value. And most people choose EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF NEW REPLIES. The value here is that the most well informed people on the topic get notified and she or he, by replying, can let OTHERS know whether the new post solves a problem that’s been ongoing, or whether it adds no new value. In this way, people who are FOLLOWING a thread because their problem or issue hasn’t been solved yet can bypass having to check 100 new threads on the matter and instead go to one thread where the aggregated knowledge exists.

But of course this comment will go nowhere and will not induce any policy changes with BRAVE sys admins for forums. Why? Because GOOGLE still locks threads after several weeks of no activity, and they must be right!

1 Like

@gbz

TEST

Temporary, possible fix (thanks to investigations by Brave developers plus others at GitHub), until updated stable release of Brave Browser comes along . . .

Windows OS users:

At https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/23267 , a recent comment by ‘Gorxor’:

Added --enable-features=NavigationThreadingOptimizations to my desktop shortcut (Windows 10), and no more “sometimes page doesn’t load on first try” issues anymore for me as well. Also no crashes or other problems detected yet.

Mac OS users:

You would start up Brave Browser using the Terminal.app command line.

At https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/23267 , a recent comment by ‘nintendodork07’:

in terminal put:

open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --enable-features=NavigationThreadingOptimizations

What I finally did, in order to make use of the proposed fix, switch:

• --enable-features=NavigationThreadingOptimizations

In a Brave Browser > New Window, I sent the browser to: brave://version

I copied the entire Command Line string, to a text editor window, in which I could then edit the string.

brave_version_find_Command_Line_string

The leading part of the Command Line string:

• /Applications/Brave Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave Browser

I replaced with the following string:

• open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args

then I added a single SPACE character, followed by all of the known switches (there are several) plus any flag switches.

IF there are flag switches, then they will begin with switch:

• --flag-switches-begin

and end with switch:

• --flag-switches-end

So, IF there are flag switches, then the proposed fix, switch:

• --enable-features=NavigationThreadingOptimizations

I located BEFORE switch:

• --flag-switches-begin

IF there are NO flag switches, then I located the proposed fix, switch at the tail end of all the switches.

And I made sure to also include the necessary single SPACE characters, because there needs to be a single SPACE character that separates all the switches.

I am using 2 flag switches.

So, the altered Command Line string that I use, became:

• open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --disable-client-side-phishing-detection [FOLLOWED BY MANY SWITCHES, AND THEN THE PROPOSED FIX, SWITCH:] --enable-features=NavigationThreadingOptimizations --flag-switches-begin [FLAG SWITCHES] --flag-switches-end

That is the Command Line string that I entered into the Mac’s Terminal.app window, in order to start up Brave Browser.

This seems to be muchhh better. I almost forgot what it feels like to have a snappy browser

1 Like

Thanks @289wk . I’m just an amateur, not a techie, but i copied and entered your command line to my Mac’s brave browser, and though it seemed to be much less of a delay than prior, it still took about 30 seconds for the browser to go from unusable (while whatever is bg loading is happening) to then “clearing” enabling URLs to be served and the browser working.

Could you please help me, as my own little amateur ruleout, and figure out how I interpret the instructions on Github about how I can download the Mac installer file for this stable release version from May 2022 ?

I am just interested in seeing if a still relatively recent version, yet still multiple versions ago, iteration of Brave browser would work on my Mac without any of these long lag behavioral and performance problems?

The instructions are just very ambiguous and unclear:

Blockquote

macOS

Brave-Browser-*.dmg or Brave-Browser-*.pkg will install this version.

Is this supposed to mean take the base URL of the version page:

and modify the string a la …

and then append the version number and file type at end? As in:
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser-v1.38.117.dmg

??? because I tried that and simply got an error message. But maybe i’m not even doing it correctly?

@quicksite

Take another look at my reply, above . . . starting with, where I wrote: “What I finally did, in order to make use of the proposed fix, switch”

Either try again. Or, wait for the next update of Brave Browser stable releases, that include the fix.

One of those two choices, is much better than a retrograde attempt.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.