Brave Nightly Has Wrong WM_CLASS

When starting Brave Nightly on my Fedora 33/GNOME 3.38.2 install—as per the instructions here—GNOME Shell shows the “favorite” icon in the dash and also displays duplicate, which is a well-known issue when an incorrect or no WM_CLASS is referenced in the application’s .desktop file; however, I can’t seem to locate Brave’s .desktop file.

Any chance someone can point me in the right direction for that .desktop file? Thanks, in-advance!

System Info:

• Brave Version: Version 1.20.70 Chromium: 88.0.4324.79 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)
  • Device: ZenBook UX425IA_UM425IA 1.0
  • Kernel: 5.9.16-200.fc33.x86_64
  • DE: GNOME 3.38.2
  • WM: Mutter
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics (8) @ 2.000GHz
  • GPU: AMD ATI 04:00.0 Renoir
  • Memory: 7278MiB / 15482MiB
1 Like

You’re quite right. We have an issue tracking this problem:

I’m not entirely sure if it’s in the same place on Fedora, but on my Ubuntu machine, it’s in /usr/share/applications/brave-browser-nightly.desktop.

The bug was opened October 28, 2019? Yikes, quite old and still not fixed.

Although I thought I checked there, I must not have because as you suggested @fmarier, that’s exactly where it is.

Now, I have to figure out if that particular .desktop file is over-written every time the app is updated; if so, that’s gonna be a huge pain.

Thanks for responding and I apologize for taking so long to come back; turns out, for some reason, I’m not notified when replies are posted here via email. I’m sure I’ve screwed up something in the notification settings.

Again, thanks!

EDIT

As of this morning’s update, editing that file makes no difference. Any ideas?

Brave 1.21.21 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)
Revision 68dba2d8a0b149a1d3afac56fa74648032bcf46b-refs/branch-heads/4324@{#1784}
OS Linux
JavaScript V8 8.8.278.14
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.96 Safari/537.36
Command Line /opt/brave.com/brave-nightly/brave --enable-dom-distiller --disable-domain-reliability --no-pings --extension-content-verification=enforce_strict --extensions-install-verification=enforce --origin-trial-public-key=bYUKPJoPnCxeNvu72j4EmPuK7tr1PAC7SHh8ld9Mw3E=,fMS4mpO6buLQ/QMd+zJmxzty/VQ6B1EUZqoCU04zoRU= --sync-url=https://sync-v2.brave.com/v2 --lso-url=https://no-thanks.invalid --variations-server-url=https://variations.brave.com/seed --enable-features=WebUIDarkMode,AutoupgradeMixedContent,SafetyTip,LegacyTLSEnforced,DnsOverHttps,PrefetchPrivacyChanges,PasswordImport,ReducedReferrerGranularity --disable-features=AutofillEnableAccountWalletStorage,TextFragmentAnchor,TabHoverCards,PasswordCheck,NetworkTimeServiceQuerying,NotificationTriggers,WebOTP,PrivacySettingsRedesign,IdleDetection,AutofillServerCommunication,SignedExchangeSubresourcePrefetch,SafeBrowsingEnhancedProtection --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
Executable Path /opt/brave.com/brave-nightly/brave
Profile Path /home/bryan/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser-Nightly/Default

I just took a look again and found the root cause. It was an easy fix:

It will be in the 1.21 release.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.