Brave Linux keyring password request

Dell XPS 410;Linux Mint 21.1 xfce;
Brave Version 1.48.171 Chromium: 110.0.5481.177 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I have just installed Brave from the Brave website into a new installation of Linux Mint 21.1 xfce on a 2007 Dell computer.
When I went to open the browser, it asked for my password to open the keyring. In the installation, I was not asked for keyring password.

If I close that window, another identical window will appear. If I close that one, another identical one will appear. If I close the third one the Brave browser will appear.

1. Will not having a password for the keyring make a difference in how Brave functions? Will it be secure?

2. If I should have a password to unlock the keyring, how do I go about setting one?

**Expected result: Instructions

**Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.48.171 Chromium: 110.0.5481.177 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information: Can’t think of any

@Mattches could you please assist. Thanks!

I get the same message in Manjaro. I believe that this allows you to view your saved passwords in the browser. I’m guessing it’s similar to how I have to provide my account password on my work machine any time I want to check a site password.

The password you’re being asked for I believe should be your system password.

Correct, yes. If you haven’t started your keyring, you will be asked to verify that this is the password you want for that choice.

I’ve tried to use my system password several times and am told it is incorrect.

So I went to Privacy and Security/Manage Security Key and have no idea what to do with the choices. One option is to reset the security key, but it wants a physical security key.
This is for a Desktop, and I don’t use cellphones. I don’t want to sync any devices, and myTracfone cheap phone is several years old and doesn’t require passwords or PINs to function. It doesn’t have a removable security key.

To put it baldly, I know nothing about security keys , which I don’t think is my problem with a keyring, or about keyrings either.

How would I go about setting a keyring password, when it won’t take my system password and probably won’t allow me to change anything security related without it?.

This doesn’t seem to be a Brave problem. I’ve gone in my Mint menu to the Passwords and Keys app and get the same window that pops up when Brave starts. My system password doesn’t work there either.

It might be better to go to the Mint forums than the Brave forums, since this seems to be an issue with your OS not with Brave.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.