Brave crashes and closes itself upon searching anything

Description: For the past few days, on my imac everytime I opened brave it just closed itself without even opening fully saying ‘application not responding’. It was like that for sometime until I opened it and it didn’t. I then tried searching something but it would type up one letter on the search bar then would crash like before and close itself. This is the first time i’ve experienced this problem and it’s really annoying since brave has all my bookmarks and data.

Steps to Reproduce:

• I tried deleting and downloading brave again
  • Updating my Imac to the latest version
  • Restarting my Imac
  • Waiting sometime before opening brave again
  • Removed all browser extensions

Actual Result:
Still the same problem, nothing changed

Expected result:
Expected it to reset the browser upon deleting and reinstalling.

System and browser version:

Brave Version: v1.68.137
Imac Version: Catalina 10.15.7

Additional Information: Brave allowed me to view crash reports and there were around 8 from yesterday and today that I tried opening and searching brave
(If you would like further information or details please let me know, I am new to this so I would expect to have missed some details.)

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Been happening for a while now… I’m about to quit using Brave as my default browser because it crashes every time I paste anything into the URL/Search bar.

Using version: Version 1.69.153 Chromium: 128.0.6613.85 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Crash report says it was caused by: Signal: 11 (SEGV)
which is a segmentation fault

My OS details are:
Operating System: KDE neon 6.0
KDE Plasma Version: 6.1.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.5.0
Qt Version: 6.7.2
Kernel Version: 6.8.0-40-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 23.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630
Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP ZBook 15 G6

I’ve found several posts with this same problem. Each has been closed after 30 days. Is anything being done to fix this?