Brave is becoming increasingly slower

Description of the issue:
I’m a fairly new Brave user. I’ve been using it for less than a month, I think? It started out very fast. However, for the last 4 days or so, Brave has been extremely slow. Every new tab, every page refresh, every click takes anywhere from 30s to 5m+ with notification errors like “the page seems to be unresponsive. Would you like to wait or exit?” Clicking on wait, it will eventually come up whereas clicking on exit repeats the “queueing” time.

Part of it is my net. I only get 1-2mbps which is possibly why I might be waiting for as long as 5 minutes. However, this wasn’t an issue before. I can’t even log into sites, like my college account, that requires OTP with minute long duration periods because it takes so long for everything to load.

I have done the following to try and fix the issue:
0. Checked and troubleshoot my net (nothing changed, and Mum who uses Chrome hasn’t had any issues)
0.1 My computer runs daily scans for malware, and weekly thorough scans, so it’s not a virus

  1. Update all of my plugins (nothing changed)
  2. Delete all my plugins (nothing changed, so I got them back)
  3. Clear all cache/cookies/history/etc (nothing changed)
  4. Change the DNS in the browser setting (nothing changed)
  5. Close and reboot Brave
  6. Reset Brave to its original settings (nothing changed)
  7. Delete and create a new user profile (nothing changed)
  8. Reset my computer (nothing changed)
  9. Check my drivers (nothing changed)
  10. Turned off hardware acceleration in Brave (nothing changed, so I turned it back on)

The plugins I’m using are: Stylus, DocsAfterDark, Dark Reader, Duckduckgo, and Adblock Plus (because I was still getting google’s ads in my e-mail in Brave). I usually have anywhere from 6-10 tabs open at a time.
This happens on literally every site I visit or tab I open.

When I googled into it, it looked like many others had similar issues but no resolutions that I could find. Different periods, though, so I’m not sure if it’s a patch.

How can this issue be reproduced?

Not sure, it’s just been doing this on its own.

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave): “Brave is up to date”
Version 1.42.88 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

3 Likes

Thank you for reaching out and we appreciate the through report.

Would you mind trying to create a new test profile (ensure you close the original profile window you had open), browse for a bit using it, and tell me if Brave behaves the same way when using it?

Would also private window mode (disable all extensions), also enabling HW acceleration otherwise it’ll be slower on video playback (youtube/netflix/etc)

I’ve had the same issue and I feel its from opening multiple tabs. 4 seems to be the max tabs before brave starts to cry. And they more tabs you have open, the more ram gets used the more bandwidth gets used. You have a bandwidth issue from your inet provider. Try keeping your tabs under 4 well 2 in your case and see how it works. If it still is doing it then start removing extensions until its not bogging down anymore and you’ll know what extension is causing the issue.
But you could also be having ram issues, and or hdd issues. when hdd start to go you’ll start getting programs on that hdd to do strange things and weird errors. But i think your issue is bandwidth

1 Like

I just got the latest update from Windows 2 days ago. My browser is now really slow. Almost non-functional. I have been using Brave for almost 2 years. First problem. I really don’t like Windows. They always cause problems. Just wanted you to be aware of the issue.

Pic of my latest updates to help you out.

I’m getting some weird stuff happening whilst watching YouTube and other video formats, I’m getting lines like its stuck at a lower refresh rate to my monitors. I’m using 60Hz monitor and its set at 60 but when i use brave its seems broken. I’ve tried it on google chrome and its fine

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.