Brave Global Shield Fingerprinting Setting Changes from Block All to Cross-Site upon Browser Exit

Description of the issue:
Even though I repeatedly set the Fingerprinting setting to “Block all fingerprinting”, every time I exit and relaunch the browser, it reverts to “Block cross-site fingerprinting”. I’ve tried it many times, both in Private Browsing mode and the regular one. I recently installed Brave, but it was a clean install, with no identifiable issues.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Reproduces how often:
Every time!

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 64-bit, [Version 1.8.95 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Did you have “Site and shield settings” option enabled for "Clear on exit” under brave://settings/clearBrowserData ?

Yes, I did. I tried now while keeping it off, and that seemed to fix the issue, but I don’t think that should be the proper functionality of the setting.

There should be a clear distinction between resetting Global and Local Shield settings, right?

I may want to allow a particular website access to some stuff, or even shut down shields on that site for a single instance only, and want the browser to revert to my usual settings upon browser relaunch.

On the other hand, global settings pertaining to fingerprinting and tracking shouldn’t be affected by that.

There should most certainly be a way to reset/clear site-specific shield settings without altering global settings.

There seems to have been a bug raised pertaining to that a long time ago, with a suggested design change that might have worked, but seems to have not been implemented for some reason. You can find that here: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/2400

Do let me know if I’m missing something. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.