Brave does not follow GTK theme in Gnome

Description of the issue:

Brave does not change to dark mode in Linux with the Gnome desktop environment. Specifically in Fedora in my case.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Launch Brave
  2. Got to settings / appearance. Select “use gtk” as you would to get it to match gnome theme. Change Brave colors to dark.
  3. Only changes to dark within brave settings, but the tabs and all the bars and menus are still in light color mode. Even though system is set to dark mode as well.

Expected result:
Brave should switch to dark mode with GTK appearance

Brave Version( check About Brave):
v1.45.123

Additional Information:
This isn’t new. It has been happening ever since I switched to Gnome a few months ago. Can’t say before then.

I see what you’re saying, and I’m not sure why that happens.

But it also looks like if you just use the ‘Classic’ (not GTK) theme, and still set Brave colors to ‘Dark’ as you have there, Dark Mode works and looks pretty good. Does that not work for you?

FWIW, using GTK+ in Chromium on the same system doesn’t look quite as ugly as Brave does with the same settings, but in that case the menus/etc. are also still in ‘light’ mode, so whatever is behind this issue is likely coming from upstream Chromium.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes you are correct, it will use a full dark theme with “classic” theming. I suppose I am nitpicking, but I don’t like how it looks. It has sharp window edges, brings back the minimize and maximize buttons, and the dark theme colors and shades don’t even match the system dark theme. It uses black where black isn’t used and the greys are different shade and tint.

Also thanks for checking on Chromium to confirm. Do you know if there is a bug reporting forum or tool for Chromium to report this? Or do you think it is something the Brave team will ever address independently?

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.