Brave Crashing Immediately

Brave updated today and since the update I can’t open it. Brave immediately crashes every time I try to launch it. There are no errors shown, just a flash of the browser window with the application menu at top and then it is gone.

I have tried reinstalling. The installation reported as successful but the same behavior is experienced… just a flash of the app and then its gone.

The version is 114.1.52.126
I am on MacBook Pro - Ventura 13.0

Any ideas?

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

Can you go to AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser-Nightly\User Data\Crashpad\reports

And share reports.
@Mattches could you please investigate? Thank you so much!

@ann4 could you try installing Brave beta or brave Nightly and check if same happens there?

@SmartAadi Is that navigation path for MacOS? It does not seem so.

How do I find these installation files? They are not available as options from the home page > Download Brave button.

I found this …

Last login: Tue Jun 20 18:48:21 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

MacBook-Pro:~ ann$ /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app/Contents/Frameworks/Brave\ Browser\ Framework.framework/Versions/114.1.52.126/Helpers/chrome_crashpad_handler ; exit;

chrome_crashpad_handler: --handshake-fd or --mach-service is required

Try ‘chrome_crashpad_handler --help’ for more information.

logout

Saving session…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

Deleting expired sessions…none found.

[Process completed]

Oops my bad. I actually just read the tag where it says desktop support and assumed was windows. So sorry.

Sorry, but that is iOS - the phone. MacOS does not look anything like that. In a previous comment, above, I did share the only thing I could find that looks like a crash report. I don’t know if that contains any helpful information though.

Also, I asked this above but the other installation files mentioned earlier, how do I find them, please? I have now tried the default installation package for MacOS three times but there is no change in the behavior. Brave partially launches and immediately exits.

Thank you!

@saoiray would you know anything?
@ann4 im sorry for any confusions I had.

@ann4,
You can find the Beta and Nightly versions of the browser on our website as well:
Download Beta here
Download Nightly here

I’m also curious to know if you were to try launching a Private window from the browser (rather than just launching the browser normally) whether or not it would stay open for you. You can try this by doing the following:

1. On your mac, launch the Terminal app
  2. In the Terminal, type the following command:
open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --incognito

Please let me know if this launches a Private browsing window that does not crash immediately. Thank you.

I have not yet tried installing Beta or Nightly yet but I did open Terminal and tried launching incognito. Nothing happens. I mean nothing, not even the flash of the Brave window.
I tried removing the incognito argument and this created the flash of the Brave window but it shuts down immediately just as it has been doing.

I should also note that the options available in the start bar have changed as well. It used to have an option to open a Brave window in Tor but that is not there anymore.

I have now tried installing the Beta version and can open it from Finder > Applications. However, it does not overwrite my existing installation of Brave and is not picking up the settings of the regular version. If my solution is to use the Beta version, I need to copy the settings over. How do I do that?

I also updated the MacOS Terminal shell to be zsh (the default was bash) as the default, and tried again, but the behavior has not changed.

@ann4,
The fact that the Beta browser is opening at all points to there being something wrong with your original installation specifically, not the browser itself. Also note that downloading/installing Beta (or Nightly) does not overwrite or replace your current install — it is being run as a separate browser, which is why you don’t see any of your data in it.

Next I’d like you to try launching Brave (stable) from the terminal with a new browser profile and see if it opens. Please open the Terminal and try the following command:

open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --profile-directory="newprofiletest"

Note that you do not have to use the name “newprofiletest”, that’s just what I chose to call it — you can have any name in between those quotes.

It does open and looks like a fresh installation.

@ann4,
Okay perfect — so it seems like there is something wrong with your browser profile specifically. Can you tell me if you have an extensions installed in the browser at this time?

Yes, but I can’t tell you what now. I was using the Brave Wallet and at some point WAN Mask, MetaMask, etc. I was also using a couple of Google Drive extensions like SodaPDF, LucidChart and Lumen. There may have been a couple of others but I don’t remember.

@ann4,
Please try the following command in the Terminal:

open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --disable-extensions

Let me know what happens.

Brave opens to a screen asking what profile to use. When I select my profile, it closes again. When I select Profile 1 (which is empty) is opens to the default Brave window/tab.

@ann4,
Okay so we know that it is not an extension that is causing the issue. I’m going to have to ask some folks from the team for input here as I’m not super clear on what would be causing the crashes since we can’t look at the crash reports directly.

In the meantime, if you’re willing you can try one more Terminal command, which launches the browser with the Hardware Acceleration feature disabled. Try opening the Terminal and running:

open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --disable-gpu

It does the exact same as above… opens to a select profile screen. Selecting my profile, it then closes. Selecting ‘Profile 1’ (an empty one) it opens.

I can see that the latest update created a conflict with something in my profile but I don’t know what. I am happy to start using a new profile but I need my settings data, my bookmarks and passwords. Is there any way to retrieve that and apply it to a new profile?