Brave crashes when I open the shields menu and the browser's task manager in the same session

I tried it a few times just now and it crashes every single time. Also, on an unrelated note, is it just me or does brave shields have a memory leak? “Extension: Brave” was using 500,000k of ram in the task manager before it crashed when I clicked on the shields button. It doesn’t hurt my performance at all because I have 16gb of ram but it doesn’t seem right when ublock origin uses 1/10 the ram

2 Likes

@pcmasterrace609

Clicking on the site-specific Shields (Lion) icon that promptly displays its panel, causes a new process to show in the Brave Browser > Task Manager, called:

Private Extension: Brave

That new process - according to the BB Task Manager - uses no memory, nor CPU, and has no Process ID (“PID”).

All that is in addition to a pre-existing:

Private Extension: Brave

. . . that does use memory, a variable amount of CPU on occasion, and has a PID.

Brave Browser on my Mac, running since 5:00 PM, is using at total of 1GB - the sum of all 11 processes.

I do not use Tabs as substitutes for Bookmarks. Keep it lean.

I moved from Firefox to Brave Browser, because:

• Firefox has a memory leak that remains a problem, and Brave Browser has not shown that problem for the Mac; and

• Brave Browser offers more selective control over cookies and scripts.

If I were running Brave Browser on a Windows OS machine, I would monitor performance, by using:

• NetLimiter 4
  • Windows Event Viewer
  • Windows Performance monitor
  • Windows Resource monitor
  • Brave Browser > Developer Tools > Network
  • Brave Browser > Task Manager (BB TM) (compare PID with WTM)
  • Windows Task Manager (WTM) (compare PID with BB TM)

. . . close Tabs and Windows not being used, and Disable everything in the Brave Browser > Settings that is not essential for lightweight running.

Open any new Brave Browser window to about:blank, and not set Brave Browser to be the default Internet browser.

1 Like

Same thing. It started when they redesigned the Shields menu. It was crashing for me consistently on Google.com until the last update. Now it just happens on random sites after not restarting Brave for long periods.

1 Like

@weirdal

1 Like

I have been experiencing the same issue today, after it crashing on one site, it started crashing on every tab

Got the same issue unfortunately, whenever I click on the Shields icon, all open Brave windows close as it crashes :frowning:

@pcmasterrace609, @weirdal , @nnt73 , @pivrous

I do not have a Windows OS machine to test; and I am hoping that one of you might read the following and try the steps . . .

The AdBlock Component for Brave Browser, is the ‘cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam’ folder, located at:

Linux OS

• $HOME/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam/

Mac OS

• /Users/usernam/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam/

Windows OS

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam\

During the second half of 2021, the AdBlock Component was found to cause, or be a part of the cause, of a crash, freeze, or other behavior. Yet, the particular reason for that faulty behavior, might have been resolved fully - at that time.

(Ref.: https://community.brave.com/t/brave-crash-upon-opening/269922/5)

But now, if:

a) the AdBlock Component might again be a part of the cause for the present issue, - or -

b) the recent update of the site-specific Shields (Lion icon) panel functions, and their association with ad-blocking, might be a cause for the present issue,

. . . then I figure, worth a test. So, if you are game:

• Exit / Quit Brave Browser
  • Move the ‘cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam’ folder to the computer Desktop
  • Start up Brave Browser
  • Test your Brave Browser issue

Upon Startup, a new/replacement AdBlock Component will be installed - replacing that which you removed for the test.

1 Like

@pcmasterrace609

Thank you for running the test.

@Mattches

An old problem has returned:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.