Brave Crashes and Fails to Reload tabs from previous session

macos

I’ve noticed this issue occurring for the past few months every couple weeks or so. Brave Browser crashes, I get prompted with a crash log which I send, then the dialog prompt which asks if I want to relaunch Brave flashes and goes away quickly. Brave reopens but with no window. I try to open a new tab and it just hangs. Only thing to do next is force quit and relaunch from launchpad.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Issue Intermittent.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Crash log. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ujoayhyjdo4us0/brave_crash.txt?dl=0

Expected result:
Open browser with tabs saved from last session.

Reproduces how often:
Every couple weeks or so.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
0.64.75 Chromium: 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)
MacOS 10.14.4

@jaborges,
Thank you for reaching out. I’m curious if there’s anything specific to your setup that may cause this? For example what (if any) extensions do you have installed?

A couple weeks is a pretty long gap between the behavior – it may seem silly but is there anything you do or any sites you visit, operations you perform, etc every two weeks or so?

1 Like

Nothing out of the ordinary. No others extensions just Brave Shields with Rewards enabled. Tbh I live in the browser. Viewing email and reading news are about the only things I do. I have a good amount of tabs open with some pinned as well, but don’t think that would cause it. I also always close Brave in between uses since I though the issue could be memory related.

2 Likes

@jaborges,
Thanks for the info. I’m still looking into this – if you see any other users reporting this on Community feel free to direct them to this thread (if I don’t get to it first).
Also, I’m curious – generally when Brave crashes (or is quit) with tabs open, navigating to Menu --> History after relaunching should have a clickable option in the menu that opens x number of previous tabs:

Do you see this option after the crash/relaunch?

1 Like

I dont see the “tabs” item in my history list. But the next time this crash occurs I’ll check immediately.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue recently, and encountered three session wipes in the last few weeks. (Two of them were in the last few days.)

I’m on Brave Version 0.64.75 Chromium: 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit), and Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Double-click my Brave shortcut on desktop.
  2. Space out while I wait for Brave to open.
  3. Realize Brave isn’t open. (Have not confirmed whether Brave crashes or just fails to open entirely, but I have confirmed that I gave it a solid double-click.)
  4. Attempt again to open Brave.
  5. Brave opens, but with no tabs. Menu --> History submenu has no entries to click (neither individual pages nor groups of tabs), but brave://history/ is fully populated.

I tried to Google search for this issue, and saw mentions of seeking out a session file at \AppData\Roaming\Brave\Session-store-1. However, my \AppData\Roaming folder doesn’t even contain a folder named Brave. Closest thing I can find is \AppData\Local\BraveSoftware. I also read mentions of a json file with the saved session, but I can’t find that either.

Is there any temporary workaround for this issue? It’s no fun losing track of researching surgery/surgeon options and housing rental listings. I’ll probably just manually record my sessions in Notepad++ or OneNote for now.

@failswithtails – dope name!

~\AppData\Roaming\Brave was the directory for the old, Muon-based Brave browser (now depreciated) – ~\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware is the correct place to look.

Do you have any extensions installed? Additionally – just to check – you don’t have any data set to Clear on exit?