Brave Browser - Safe Browsing Crash

On Windows 10 21H2 64-bit, Brave is crashing sometimes when a Safe Browsing blacklisted website is visited manually.

1. Enter a KNOWN BAD phishing webpage like https://www.virustotal.com/gui/domain/concentrixsso.com

2. TYPE in the address in a new tab
    Expected result:
    Should show the red “blocked page” notification.

Brave v1.45.123

Additional Information:
This doesn’t occur when known bad site is accessed through a link/shortcut.

1 Like

Hello there @KJohnny, could you please try opening your main profile in private mode or guest to see if Brave does not crash when visiting the page? If it doesn’t, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

You can open a Guest Window by going to Main menu --> Open Guest window:

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let me know if that works.
Regards.

1 Like

Hello @Kevin_cc , the browser also crashed in private mode. Guest mode, with a private window, does work, and the red warning page comes up. I have no extra extensions, beyond what is integrated into Brave.

1 Like

Hello again @KJohnny, can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Be waiting for your response.

Disabling Hardware Acceleration doesn’t resolve the issue. Based on the fact that a guest private window did work, I’m thinking of doing a full uninstall, and then reinstall, to see what happens, but not quite yet.

1 Like

Hi @KJohnny could you please go to brave://crashes and provide me with the crash report from when you visit that page so our team can further investigate.

1 Like

I uploaded the crash report through the browser, it then requests a github signin if additional info is needed. There is no way to upload the file through here? I found where the crashpad folder is.

1 Like

Hi again @KJohnny could you please try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave on your PC to see if the crashes persist.

Let me know if that works.

1 Like

Hi @Kevin_cc I installed and ran the Beta version, left all defaults on, and the browser didn’t crash. A big clue I found was, in the Brave release version, turning OFF the “always use secure connections” setting also stopped the crashing.
In the Brave Beta, the website loads a http site, and it is not blocked like in the release version.

1 Like

@KJohnny Does Brave Beta crash if you have always use secure connections option turned on? If it doesn’t, the issue can be resolved by updating your Brave release when an update is avialable.

1 Like

@Kevin_cc Yes, there appears to be a bug in the always use secure connections option that is fixed in the beta version. Thank You!

1 Like

Create a new profile, or test in clean Brave beta profile (with no extensions).

@KJohnny glad to read that, if you have any other comments or concerns, please let me know or create a new community post so we can further assist you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.