Brave Browser not opening in Windows 10

Description of the issue:

Browser opens but stays locked in system tray

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
1, Double click on Brave icon
2. See browser open in system tray but will not maximize (or open at all). I can hover over it and see the website.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): Windows 10, not sure of Brave version

Additional Information:

1 Like

@LMc,
If you right-click on the icon and open a Private window, does the browser open or does it have the same behavior as opening a standard browsing window?

Its opening a new private window but in the system tray as previously described.

@LMc,
So basically the browser never actually “opens up” on the screen – it just stays in the tray? Very strange. Do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

Exactly. I have my bitcoin available but that’s it for extensions. Windows 10 tried to download some system operation stuff today that I’ve been delaying (I stopped it again), so I mention it just in case. Everything was working fine, then this started and when I rebooted Windows tried to do more set up.

@LMc,
This is a bit of a long shot but is a fairly quick test – can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration and see if this allows the browser to open properly? To do this, you’ll need to make a desktop shortcut with some slight alterations to the Target path. You can use the following instructions to do this:

:point_up: Note that the steps are the same on Windows 10 here.

I was able to get through step 4 and nothing changed.

@LMc,
Thank you for testing this. Let me reach out to some team members for additional input. I do appreciate your patience here.

1 Like

@LMc, please do the following:

1. Close Brave entirely
  2. Press Windows Key + R (to open the Run dialog)
  3. Run the following command: brave --window-position=10,10

It should look like this in the Run dialog:

When you run that command, do you see your browser window?

1 Like

Yes! Thank you … :grinning: :grinning:

Your window coordinates appear to have been recorded beyond the bounds of your display(s). This can sometimes happen when you use an external monitor. You shouldn’t need to use the Run dialog in the future, as Brave should preserve your window position/dimensions during the app-close process. Please do let us know if you encounter any further issues, however. We’re always happy to assist :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.