Brave browser crashing on launch after OS upgrade

Description of the issue:
After upgrading to the latest LTS version of Pop!OS (22.04) from the previous LTS (21.10), Brave browser won’t load any pages and reports “Error code 159”; message boxes also appear at the upper-right of the window sequentially detailing one-by-one that ALL installed extensions have crashed.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Attempt to open browser on current Pop!OS 22.04LTS

Expected result:
Browser should open and function normally

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.15.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
If browser is opened from the command line with “brave-browser --no-sandbox”, the browser loads as expected with the warning: “You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer.”.
While the browser is in use, messages are displayed on the command line stating: [4341:4341:0501/102946.509456:ERROR:CONSOLE(1)] “[Shields]: Can’t request shields panel data. Error: No tab url specified”, source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js (1)
displaying a new one every time the browser page changes.

I also have Firefox installed, with essentially the same extensions, and it functions normally.

Hello @hectorj102

could you update brave as the current version is
Version 1.38.109 Chromium: 101.0.4951.41 (Official Build) (64-bit)

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

A familiar error (occurs with Mac OS, too) that remains a puzzle - meaning, that its occurrence is yet another frustration with Brave.

Something strange going on here! When I looked at the Pop!_Shop widget, it shows their current version as 1.37.116 (April 15 2022) and shows it as ‘installed’ but that doesn’t agree with the information taken directly from the browsers ‘About Brave’ page that I copied into my original post (showing Version 1.15.76). Is there any possibility that TWO different Brave versions somehow got installed and the favourites link on the dash is still pointing to the older version? I’m quite sure that the last time I ran a speed test through nPerf it reported the browser as “Chrome 100.0”! Since all updates are done through the built-in updater this shouldn’t be the case but I’m lost as to other possibilities. Did the OS update do something really strange?

I decided to remove Brave with sudo apt remove brave-browser followed by sudo apt autoremove to clean up dependencies [libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:amd64 (2.40.2-2build4), libgdk-pixbuf-xlib-2.0-0:amd64 (2.40.2-2build4), and libu2f-udev (1.1.10-3build2)] then reboot. After doing this, the system still showed version 1.37.116 as installed in the Pop!_Shop but neither the ‘Install’ or ‘Open’ buttons did anything so I ran sudo apt purge brave-browser and rebooted again and then reinstalled Brave from the Pop!_Shop widget. As it seems to be working OK now (once I imported my bookmarks and re-did my settings) I’m going to leave well enough alone and NOT upgrade to the latest version until it shows up in updates in case there are any customisations Pop! does that deviate from the original.

Thanks for you help!

Something strange going on here! When I looked at the Pop!_Shop widget, it shows their current version as 1.37.116 (April 15 2022) and shows it as ‘Installed’ but that doesn’t agree with the information taken directly from the browsers ‘About Brave’ page that I copied into my original post (showing Version 1.15.76). Is there any possibility that TWO different Brave versions somehow got installed and the favourites link on the dash is still pointing to the older version? I’m quite sure that the last time I ran a speed test through nPerf it reported the browser as “Chrome 100.0”! Since all updates are done through the built-in updater this shouldn’t be the case but I’m lost as to other possibilities. Did the OS update do something really strange?

I decided to remove Brave with sudo apt remove brave-browser followed by sudo apt autoremove to clean up dependencies [libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:amd64 (2.40.2-2build4), libgdk-pixbuf-xlib-2.0-0:amd64 (2.40.2-2build4), and libu2f-udev (1.1.10-3build2)] then reboot. After doing this, the system still showed version 1.37.116 as installed in the Pop!_Shop but neither the ‘Install’ or ‘Open’ buttons did anything so I ran sudo apt purge brave-browser and rebooted again and then reinstalled Brave from the POP!_Shop widget. As it seems to be working OK now (once I imported my bookmarks and re-did my settings) I’m going to leave well enough alone and NOT upgrade to the latest version until it shows up in updates in case there are any customisations Pop! does to their download that deviate from the original.

Thanks for you help!

Hello @hectorj102

it’s better to install brave using the command here

and do not worry you will do it once and your system update will update it when you check for update later

as i do not know what the brave in the pop shop widget come from is it snap or flathub or something else

and by the way you can install different brave beta and release and night and dev on the same machine but you can not install different version of same brave like brave ver 1.3 and 1.4 for same edition

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

I had nearly this same problem (wasn’t seeing different versions in different places) after the Pop_OS! upgrade. Took me forever and lots of “Braving” (rather than googling) to figure it out. Your post actually inspired me to look at the version… then I realized that when I was running apt update, the brave entry was no longer in the list. So I added the brave entry back to sources.list.d and upgraded the keyring entry using the instructions on Brave’s page. This fixed the problem!
I hope this helps someone else.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.