Error code 159 and I can't load anything on Brave

Since upgrading to Pop!_Os 22.04 I keep on getting the error code 159 and can’t load anything on Brave whether it be a webpage, private tab, or even the settings. I’m not sure how to fix this error and can’t find anything on the error code I’m having. If anyone has any insight on this issue it be greatly appreciated.

My issue has been fixed. Check out theflexcrush’s solution in the comments below.

Welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am a community member too. I can’t help with your issue, sorry. I know nothing about Linux and am not tech savvy. Just curious and have a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

  1. Were you able to upgrade to the latest Brave Release version (1.38.109) as indicated in the topic below?
  1. If available, did you try “​-no-sandbox-option” (whatever that means). I found an old Linux OS post that was able to open Brave with this option. It was closed with no response so not much help otherwise.

    Even though it is not your specific Linux flavor, I am wondering if this would work in your situation so you could at least open Brave and see if can troubleshoot your problem.

Did you see the Brave article for Linux installations? Posted link below. It might give you some ideas… maybe… hope so… :smile:

Hopefully, someone who actually knows what they are talking about will pop in and help!

1 Like

Hello @Naphrum

try to update brave as @Chocoholic

to do that from command line

open the terminal and run the following command

sudo apt update

after it finish run
sudo apt upgrade

or you can check for update using your software i do not have pop os to tell you what is' name

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Naphrum,
I spent hours on this and last night I came across you post, hoping it had generated a fix. I did find a fix today, and feel silly because I missed the problem repeatedly. I have tried the following on two computers and it has worked both times:

When we updated to 22.04, it removed the source entry for Brave, so when we update/upgrade, Brave doesn’t get it. You can follow the directions here https://brave.com/linux/ - but only do the second and third step (curl and echo) - or copy and paste from below. I assume you already did the first step, then after you update and upgrade, Brave should be fixed!
Terminal commands:
sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

echo “deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main”|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you this worked.

1 Like