Description of the issue: every since I have installed Norton Security and updated to the newest build of the Brave browser, I have not been able to use the Rakuten add-in.
I am on Windows 10 and on Brave Version 1.11.104 Chromium 84.0.4147.105 (64-bit)
Prior to that I could click on the add in and it would show me my option and take me back to the shopping site. Now the browser does not proceed at all.
This did not happen with the previous build. Rakuten worked perfectly then.
Might I add - Rakuten works perfectly with Chrome and Firefox. So it is not a firewall issue.
These are my settings for Rakuten.
I do not have adblock or any other blocking add-ins in Brave