Bookmarks vs. Mobile Bookmarks

Sync V2 seems to work! :slight_smile: This may be a weird question, but why are there two bookmark locations? Will it cause any trouble (I’m a bit reluctant to “just try it”) if one deletes the mobile bookmarks and the mobile device leaves the sync chain. Like in: All bookmarks gone on this device instead of just not synced anymore?

1 Like

Bookmarks folder is used for desktop while Mobile bookmarks like it’s name is “folder” used for bookmarks synced from mobile.

When synced, any action will be synced across devices – like adding new bookmark or deleting bookmark. So if you delete one bookmark from mobile, it’ll also be deleted from “Mobile bookmarks” folder on desktop and other devices.

“Leave sync chain” will terminate the connection. But it’ll not delete the existing browser data.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply! So, if I understand this correctly: The two different folders exist just for “housekeeping”, in case the user wants to separate desktop from mobile bookmarks for whatever reason? In other words: If not, the mobile bookmarks folder can be deleted (assuming there’s nothing important left in there)?

Edit: I guess I get it now (hopefully). Adding new bookmarks on the mobile device would clutter the bookmarks bar of the desktop browser. I never really thought about it, since the desktop browser asks where to store a new bookmark instead of just throwing into the root folder.

2 Likes

I tried to delete the Mobile Bookmarks folder but I can’t. In fact, it looks like Brave on mobile uses this folder exclusively (when adding bookmark or setting up a widget on Android).

All the websites I visit on my desktop are the SAME websites I visit on my mobile device. I don’t want to manage two repositories of the same bookmarks!

On my desktop, I use the bookmark bar with folders. On my mobile, I want access to these bookmarks easily, always.

I never understood why bookmarks in browsers were so damn complicated… Bookmark bar, Mobile bookmarks, Other bookmarks, quick access, favorites, aarrggg.

We only need one repository! One place to rule 'em all. It should contain Bookmarks and folders of bookmarks. That’s it.

Now for the Bookmark Bar on desktop, I get the cluttering thing, so simply allow users to select a folder to display in the bar. Or Show all, by default.

I hope it didn’t sound like a rant. I think Brave is an awesome browser and I continue suggesting it to family and friends… I guess last months were hard for me and I just wanted to clean-up my bookmarks and got frustrated when I thought the new sync system didn’t work but found out about that Mobile folder and remembered that I COPIED all my “desktop” bookmarks in that folder years ago. So that’s more than 200 duplicates that I have among these two folders that should really be the same.

6 Likes

I also want a single repository structure instead of separate ‘mobile’ and ‘desktop’ folders. This is just increasing clutter.

5 Likes

are there any updates on fixing this? it is super annoying to have two separate sets of bookmarks with no way to merge them

4 Likes

When I bookmark a page in the mobile version, the bookmark locates in the “Mobile Bookmarks” folder, and synching action doesn’t show the folder/bookmarks for the desktop version of brave. Why? All bookmarks from the desktop version are accessible in the mobile version, but can’t access bookmarks from the phone on the PC. Two different folders are confusing and they should be merge or after first syncing, add “Mobile Bookmarks” for the desktop version of Brave.

1 Like

Guys, seriously, separate bookmarks folders for desktop and mobile is just plain odd.
Can we have one Bookmarks folder across both desktop and mobile please?
Or at least an option to select this?
This issue is the only one keeping me from ditching Safari. But it is a biggie.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Given Brave is built with the Chromium Browser framework, y’all may want to bark at the Chromium developer forums to make this change happen on Brave. But…

In reality I rarely see this folder anymore, but just because I’m reading this thread and I hear everyone’s pain with device type bookmarks in Chromium…so I’m happy to report I successfully solved this annoyance with an IRL solution!

See screenshot: https://imgur.com/gallery/rh69I5W

Here’s how to do it:

1. As you’re reading this…hit “Add Bookmark”
  2. Rename it “:no_entry: Do not use folder!”
  3. Save in “Mobile Bookmarks” folder…as your one and only mobile bookmark.

Because Brave remembers your last save location, I just forget this folder even exists until I get a new device…so yes, you occasionally have to see this useless unused folder.

But for me, at least mine includes the epic and intimidating Brave Lion icon for added reinforcement reminding me I’m not crazy instead of an awkward and empty parent folder that is siblings to the very important Desktop folder. Again, inherited complexity from Google devs we live with as a Brave and Chrome user in 2021.

But as an added bonus, when I want to vent about how silly this all is…cause it is…,I can return to this forum thread with you fine people and vent about how Google engineers from probably a decade ago couldn’t see what Apple coined as continuity across devices and how an epic modern day browser like Brave, has to inherit this mostly useless management style of synced bookmarks.

I digress…happy bookmarking!

1 Like

From this point on i admire all the following arguements. :wink:
It is exactly how bad ideas must and will forever be bypassed.
But sadly, my iOS Brave cannot remember the last location. I cannot sing the same song.
I doubt that chromium can be blamed in that case.

sorry for necroposting but these 11 months pose a valuable contribution to the joke at hand.

cheers

I am not quite understanding you workaround solution. Could you explain a bit more?
My situation is android widget uses only “Mobile Bookmarks”, while my desktop browser uses only “Bookmarks” in toolbar. This exactly not what I want. I would prefer them to be the same. Is it somehow possible to either 1. show all bookmarks (including “Bookmarks”) in Android widget or show all bookmarks (including “Mobile Bookmarks”) in Toolbar?
Or is there a setting for having them merged?
Thanks in advance.

I’d go further to suggest that filing bookmarks imported from [chrome/mozilla/edge] under “Bookmarks Imported From…” is also very annoying. Think PARITY, BROWSER AGNOSTIC, FLAT FILE and COHERENCY please!