Bookmarks Sync -> Random Changes

Description of the issue: Bookmarks display in random order, changing on intervals ranging from 1-10 minutes.

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Sync two desktop instances.
  2. Bookmarks appear normal at first
  3. Then start cycling the random orders.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): Bookmarks display order random and then change to other random orders. Sometimes restores back to original order.

Expected result: Display order as I have already set

Reproduces how often: Changes every 1-10 minutes

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): Distortion seen on Windows 10 | Brave: Version 0.65.120 Chromium: 75.0.3770.90 (Official Build) (64-bit). Other synced machine is MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 | Brave: Version 0.65.120 Chromium: 75.0.3770.90 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Additional Information:

3 Likes

I’ve been noticing the exact same issue; Bookmarks in the Bookmarks bar randomly change their order randomly. I’ve set the order manually multiple times and the problem keeps repeating.

1 Like

I, too, am having this issue. Sometimes they duplicate, sometimes the order is alphabetical (sometimes not). I haven’t noticed it changing every 1-10 minutes, for me the timing is random. But it is annoying because I have them in a certain specific order and then they change, which means I have to manually rearrange them again. I thought it was a syncing issue with my phone app so I removed my phone but it still does it. Hopefully they get this fixed.

Brave’s implementation of Sync is … suboptimal. It fails to recognize a “source” and a “target”. Instead, it appears to transfer bookmarks between Brave/Sync-enabled installations ignoring whether the new instance of a bookmark duplicates existing entries. Further, I’ve found it fails to retain how and where a bookmark is stored in one instance when transferring it to another instance. In other posts, I’ve compared Brave’s implementation of Sync to the Sorcerer’s Apprentice’s broom going out for another bucket of water: no control over it, and once it starts, you need a Sorcerer to stop it. Also also, it only applies to bookmarks, not to e.g. extension preferences.

Suggestion: use a 3rd party alternative. https://freefilesync.org/download.php gets favorable mention from other users.

With Windows-7 installations, I use Microsoft’s free SyncToy 2.1 application: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

SyncToy brings with it two consequences either of which might be deal-breakers for others: first, some (but not all) Brave preferences are restored to their defaults; and second, extensions must be re-installed. If these consequences aren’t deal-breakers for you, bravely onward.

Search your computer for an entry similar to:

C:\Users*****\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\

where C:\ is the drive where Brave is installed and ***** is your user name. If you inspect the properties of this entry, it should have hundreds of sub-directories (folders) and thousands of files. I transfer this entry to the equivalent location on the target computer using SyncToy 2.1’s “Echo” action. SyncToy’s “Echo” action transfers entries from source to target that don’t currently exist on the target; updates older existing entries on the target; and deletes entries on the target that aren’t on the source. Further — and this is really important — SyncToy retains the style/format/appearance/location of the “source” bookmarks on the target. And, as already alluded to, SyncToy also transfers customized extension preferences.

I do this with the computers physically networked through a common router, but that’s not required. All that’s required is that the computers be available on the same network. Physically networked, the operation takes about a minute.

I synced desktop to mobile successfully. (Although I was surprised that it took a day to complete.) Now when I reorganize some bookmarks at desktop, they revert back to their previous position automatically and I find this very confusing.

I gave up on Brave first time when sync wasn’t working at all. And now I am trying again and facing this problem. I really want Brave to be my default browser, but unfortunately I’ll go back to Chrome since I don’t want to deal with these kind of problems.

I agree. I really want Brave to work, but until this bookmark issue is resolved it looks like I’ll be using Firefox (Chrome is too resource hungry and with their anti-ad blocker position, I just don’t want to use them). It did it to me again today. Rearranged the bookmarks and re added ones I deleted weeks ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.