Bookmarks deletion issue

Description of the issue:
I had Brave on my former computer. I have successfully transferred all my bookmarks, browser settings and extensions to my new computer.
I have given my old computer to a family member. They deleted my old bookmarks and made it their own.
However, when they deleted the bookmarks and extensions on that browser, the bookmarks on MY browser were also deleted! The extensions remained. I want my bookmarks back, they were vital for my work! I wish to know how to get them back and whether there’s a copy of them somewhere on my computer. This computer has nothing to do with the former one! I have no idea how this even happened.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Home, version 20H2
Brave Version 1.23.73 Chromium: 90.0.4430.85 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I think because you left the old Brave profile on the old computer part of the sync chain. The sync chain syncs all bookmarks to whichever device is synced. But yes I am not sure how to get the deleted bookmarks back.

1 Like

I think I’ll have to copy the Bookmarks.bak file from the old computer and transfer it to this one. I don’t know if it will work.
Either way, the sync chain should NOT work like this and it should apply only when actively transferring settings. Also, useful warnings while applying some settings (such as bookmarks) would be nice so people wouldn’t accidentally lose their stuff.

For sure. Hope that works. But yeah as far as I know the sync is a lovely way to make sure all your devices share the same bookmarks. I like it. But if you forget to leave sync on a old device then this becomes a problem. Esp in this case where someone deleted them and now all devices are deleted. I assume mobile as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.