Blank/black screen when navigating away and returning to Brave

Description of the issue:
When I navigate away from Brave, then return to the window, the screen I return to is blank. When I use Alt+Tab, I also see blank screens when navigating away and returning, especially when switching between Windows desktops

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
[Note – hard for me to reproduce reliably – happens often, but not all the time]
For alt tab:

1. Open Brave with a few tabs
  2. Open some other apps
  3. Alt tab away from Brave to another app
  4. Alt tab again holding alt – you’ll see the brave window is blacked out

For tab in brave browser:

1. Open Brave with a few tabs
  2. Open some other apps
  3. Navigate to another app full screen
  4. Navigate back to Brave - the open tab will be blank/black (if on dark mode)
  5. Click on black screen once and contents will reappear

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Here’s a sloppy pic of the blank alt-tab screen:

Expected result:
Brave should be displaying web page content

Reproduces how often:
Often, but not 100% of the time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 1809
Brave 0.66.101

Adding this thread because it’s the same issue. There were no official replies there and it got closed. I’m still experiencing what I described in that thread. I don’t remember if clicking on blank screen fixes it for me as OP says it does for them.
Windows 10
Version 0.66.101 Chromium: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks for the addition, poisonapple. The topic you added isn’t quite the same, as my screen remains blank until I click on it. The OP in the linked thread seems to only have it happen for half a second. This actually happens to me, too, but wasn’t quite what I was reporting.

Did some poking around and tried disabling hardware acceleration but that didn’t solve the problem.

One minor additional thing I noticed: when I have the black screen on a Brave window, I don’t have to click on the screen to show contents again. I can click anywhere and the contents will retrun (e.g., on the hamburger menu in the upper right).

Looks like updating to 0.67.123 solved this issue for me!

Actually, may have spoke too soon. The alt-tab issue is fixed, but I still occasionally (but not all the time) get a black screen when switching desktops in Windows.

1. Have brave open in one desktop
  2. Navigate to another desktop using Ctrl+Win+arrow
  3. Navigate back to the first desktop with brave open and on top using Ctrl+Win+arrow
  4. Sometimes (not all the time) the Brave window is black and reappears only with clicking anywhere on Brave).

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.