"Automatic" autofill isn't working on desktop or mobile

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. On desktop or mobile, go to any site that requires a username and password. 9 times out of 10, you have to click in either field for autofill to work.

Expected result:

The preferred behavior is for both the username and password field to be automatically autofilled WITHOUT having to click in either the username or password field. An even better expected result is that the fields are auto-filled AND the form is submitted: FYI, this happens when logging into BestBuy.com

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.61.109 Chromium: 120.0.6099.144 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

That is how autofill works.

The Sign in automatically is only for sites that allow for it. Most no longer allow for it due to security purposes. Key phrase here is in the description, which says when possible.

Hmm, Chrome seems to be able to do this, so are they sacrificing security and privacy for convenience? /s

What site(s)? I know when I was using Chrome, it wasn’t just automatically signing me in. Only thing it did was keep me signed in, which Brave does as well. So if you’re having any where it automatically signs in, I’d be curious to know which ones you’re seeing that.

I will say there is a big difference in that Chrome will autofill just by loading the website whereas Brave will keep things empty until you click and choose. So this is part of what you were speaking on. I just was putting a bigger focus on the prior statement of auto login.

Regardless, guess it’s been a while since discussed it. Let me tag in @mattches and @steeven to see if they can speak more on it. I think it was Mattches who told me before this was indeed intended behavior and dictated by sites.

Example sites:

Facebook.com. If I go on Chrome, it will have username and password filled out completely. I just have to hit Log In. But if I visit on Brave, the login fields will remain blank until I click and choose a username, at which point it autofills with password.

Then I guess OP is saying bestbuy.com will actually autofill and automatically login?

@ttz,
@Saoiray is correct — this is intentional as auto-populating those fields carries security risks along with it. Here is a summary of why:

@Mattches That totally makes sense. I hope others who are expecting Chrome’s behavior find this thread to better understand why Brave does what it does.

Thanks, all.

1 Like

You’re very welcome — have a wonderful day!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.