After windows 10 hang/crash & reboot, all brave data gone. Can I get it back?

Description of the issue:

1. Windows 10 computer was hung, and had to cycle the power on the computer.

2. When I launched Brave after logging in, it was clear that it has no record of me ever running Brave on the computer. Other topics here suggest that this data is in ~ > AppData > Local > BraveSoftware > Brave-Browser > UserData, but all of the dateCreated and dateModified settings on those files everything indicate that was created this morning on my single post-reboot launch.

Brave has crashed on me before without an operating system crash, but always come back without issue.

How can this issue be reproduced?

I’ve been through enough browser crashes to know better than to launch Brave again because each relaunch is an opportunity to inadvertently destroy any backup.

(After the first time my computer crashed and wiped out any and all trace of my ever running Edge, I installed and adopted Chrome. The next crash I lost Chrome AND Edge, so I abandoned them and adopted Brave and Opera along with Firefox. Firefox always comes back. I can’t even find the Opera executable to launch. Windows really sucks – I’ve never had anything like this on unix/macOS/linux but it happens over and over on windows.)

Expected result:
The browser state is somewhere that I can restore?

Brave Version( check About Brave):
I don’t know the version number because I’m afraid to launch the program again, but it would be after July of this year, as I installed and adopted Brave after the second time that Edge did this to me.

Additional Information:

I’m relatively inexperienced in windows, so I don’t really understand what those file dates mean. Lots of files off my network drive ApplicationData folders have creation dates after modification dates. The creation dates being when the system booted this morning, but modification dates are in the past and are consistent with when I would have actually modified the files/directories.

2 Likes

Hello there @cathyf please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. Could you please check your recycle bin to see if any Brave related file is located there? If there are some, you can restore them to see if you are able to retrieve your Brave data.

Let me know if you are able to locate some files.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.